CS/HB 7089: Voting Rights Restoration
GENERAL BILL by Judiciary Committee ; Criminal Justice Subcommittee ; Grant, J. ; (CO-INTRODUCERS) Leek ; Roth
Voting Rights Restoration; Requires uniform statewide voter registration application to be designed to elicit specified information from applicant so certain felons are not required to reveal certain information; provides for termination of voting disabilities arising from certain felony convictions; requires DOS to identify registered voters & take specified actions; prohibits person from being charged or convicted for certain violations; provides that voting disqualification arising from certain felony convictions shall terminate upon completion of all terms of sentence.
Last Action: 5/3/2019 Senate - Died in Rules, companion bill(s) passed, see CS/SB 7066 (Ch. 2019-162)
Bill Text: PDF
- Rules (RC)
• Introduced -HJ 457
• Referred to State Affairs Committee; Judiciary Committee -HJ 488
• On Committee agenda-- State Affairs Committee, 04/04/19, 8:00 am, Morris Hall
• Favorable by State Affairs Committee; YEAS 15 NAYS 6 -HJ 585
• Now in Judiciary Committee -HJ 585
• On Committee agenda-- Judiciary Committee, 04/09/19, 2:00 pm, Sumner Hall
• CS by- Judiciary Committee; YEAS 12 NAYS 6 -HJ 634
• Pending review of CS -under Rule 7.18(c)
• CS by Judiciary Committee read 1st time -HJ 631
• Placed on Calendar -HJ 680
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 04/23/19
• Read 2nd time -HJ 789
• Amendment(s) adopted (169529) -HJ 786, 787
• Amendment(s) failed (239235, 583329, 631771, 709273, 719965, 861419) -HJ 787, 788
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -HJ 804
• CS passed as amended; YEAS 71 NAYS 45 -HJ 804
• In Messages
• Referred to Rules -SJ 515
• Received -SJ 514
• Indefinitely postponed and withdrawn from consideration
• Died in Rules, companion bill(s) passed, see CS/SB 7066 (Ch. 2019-162)
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.