CS/CS/SB 1796: Dissolution of Marriage
GENERAL BILL by Rules ; Judiciary ; Gruters ; (CO-INTRODUCERS) Rodriguez ; Hooper ; Diaz
Dissolution of Marriage; Requiring the court to make certain written findings in its awards of alimony; removing the court’s ability to consider adultery of either spouse in determining the amount of an alimony award; revising factors that the court must consider in determining the proper type and amount of alimony; revising a provision authorizing the modification of rehabilitative alimony upon completion of the rehabilitative plan to include a certain condition; requiring the court to consider specified factors when determining an alimony award involving the existence of a supportive relationship between the obligee and another person, etc.
Last Action: 5/5/2023 Senate - Veto Message transmitted to Secretary of State
Bill Text: Web Page | PDF
- Judiciary (JU)
- Appropriations (AP)
- Rules (RC)
• Referred to Judiciary; Appropriations; Rules -SJ 154
• Introduced -SJ 153
• On Committee agenda-- Judiciary, 01/24/22, 3:00 pm, 412 Knott Building
• CS by Judiciary; YEAS 6 NAYS 3 -SJ 218
• Pending reference review under Rule 4.7(2) - (Committee Substitute)
• Now in Appropriations
• CS by Judiciary read 1st time -SJ 224
• On Committee agenda-- Appropriations, 02/28/22, 10:30 am, 412 Knott Building
• Favorable with 1 amendment(s) by Appropriations (144186); YEAS 11 NAYS 8 -SJ 484
• Pending reference review under Rule 4.7(2) - (Amendments)
• Now in Rules
• On Committee agenda-- Rules, 03/01/22, 1:30 pm, 412 Knott Building
• CS/CS by- Rules; YEAS 10 NAYS 5 -SJ 521
• Pending reference review -under Rule 4.7(2) - (Committee Substitute)
• Placed on Calendar, on 2nd reading
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 03/03/22 -SJ 591
• CS/CS by Rules read 1st time -SJ 528
• Read 2nd time -SJ 583
• Amendment(s) adopted (178604, 221028, 536442, 674252) -SJ 585
• Amendment(s) failed (303346) -SJ 585
• Ordered engrossed
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -SJ 687
• CS passed as amended; YEAS 21 NAYS 16 -SJ 688
• In Messages
• Bill referred to House Calendar
• Bill added to Special Order Calendar (3/8/2022)
• 1st Reading (Engrossed 1)
• Read 2nd time
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Added to Third Reading Calendar
• Read 3rd time
• CS passed; YEAS 74, NAYS 42
• Ordered enrolled -SJ 761
• Signed by Officers and presented to Governor
• Vetoed by Governor
• Veto Message received (2022 Special Session A, 2023 Special Session B, 2023 Regular Session) -SJ 7
• Veto Message referred to Rules -SJ 7
• Veto Message transmitted to Secretary of State
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.