2009 Florida Statutes
(1) The developer shall be deemed to have granted to the purchaser of each parcel an implied warranty of fitness and merchantability for the purposes or uses intended as follows:
(a) As to each unit, a warranty for 3 years commencing with the completion of the building containing the unit.
(b) As to the personal property that is transferred with, or appurtenant to, each unit, a warranty which is for the same period as that provided by the manufacturer of the personal property, commencing with the date of closing of the purchase or the date of possession of the unit, whichever is earlier.
(c) As to all other improvements for the use of unit owners, a 3-year warranty commencing with the date of completion of the improvements.
(d) As to all other personal property for the use of unit owners, a warranty which shall be the same as that provided by the manufacturer of the personal property.
(e) As to the roof and structural components of a building or other improvements and as to mechanical, electrical, and plumbing elements serving improvements or a building, except mechanical elements serving only one unit, a warranty for a period beginning with the completion of construction of each building or improvement and continuing for 3 years thereafter or 1 year after owners other than the developer obtain control of the association, whichever occurs last, but in no event continuing for more than 5 years.
(f) As to all other property which is conveyed with a unit, a warranty to the initial purchaser of each unit for a period of 1 year from the date of closing of the purchase or the date of possession, whichever occurs first.
(2) The contractor and all subcontractors and suppliers grant to the developer and to the purchaser of each unit implied warranties of fitness as to the work performed or materials supplied by them as follows:
(a) For a period of 3 years from the date of completion of construction of a building or improvement, a warranty as to the roof and structural components of the building or improvement and mechanical and plumbing elements serving a building or an improvement, except mechanical elements serving only one unit.
(b) For a period of 1 year after completion of all construction, a warranty as to all other improvements and materials.
(3) "Completion of a building or improvement" means issuance of a certificate of occupancy for the entire building or improvement, or the equivalent authorization issued by the governmental body having jurisdiction, and in jurisdictions where no certificate of occupancy or equivalent authorization is issued, it means substantial completion of construction, finishing, and equipping of the building or improvement according to the plans and specifications.
(4) These warranties are conditioned upon routine maintenance being performed, unless the maintenance is the obligation of the developer or a developer-controlled association.
(5) The warranties provided by this section shall inure to the benefit of each owner and his or her successor owners and to the benefit of the developer.
(6) Nothing in this section affects a cooperative as to which rights are established by contracts for sale of 10 percent or more of the units in the cooperative by the developer to prospective unit owners prior to July 1, 1974, or as to cooperative buildings on which construction has been commenced prior to July 1, 1974.
History.--s. 1, ch. 76-222; s. 6, ch. 79-284; s. 25, ch. 86-175; s. 879, ch. 97-102.