2012 Florida Statutes
Salary incentive program for full-time officers.
Salary incentive program for full-time officers.
943.22 Salary incentive program for full-time officers.—
(1) For the purpose of this section, the term:
(a) “Accredited college, university, or community college” means a college, university, or community college that has been accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, another regional accrediting agency, the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools, or an accrediting agency or association that is recognized by the database created and maintained by the United States Department of Education.
(b) “Bachelor’s degree” means graduation from an accredited college or university.
(c) “Community college degree or equivalent” means graduation from an accredited community college or having been granted a degree pursuant to s. 1007.25(10) or successful completion of 60 semester hours or 90 quarter hours and eligibility to receive an associate degree from an accredited college, university, or community college.
(2)(a) A basic salary incentive shall be paid to any law enforcement officer who was entitled to such payment under this paragraph as it existed immediately prior to October 1, 1984.
(b) Any full-time officer who has a community college degree or equivalent shall receive the sum of $30 per month in the manner provided for in paragraph (h).
(c) Any full-time officer who receives a bachelor’s degree shall receive an additional sum of $50 per month in the manner provided for in paragraph (h).
(d) Any full-time officer who completes 480 hours of approved career development program training courses on or before June 30, 1985, shall receive the sum of $120 per month. Any full-time officer who is entitled to full or proportional career development salary incentive payments on or before June 30, 1985, shall continue to receive such payments. On or after July 1, 1985, any officer who completes a combination of 480 hours of approved advanced and career development training courses established pursuant to s. 943.17(1)(b) and (c) shall receive the sum of $120 per month. The commission, by rule, may provide for proportional shares for courses completed in 80-hour units in each program in a manner provided for in paragraph (h).
(e) The maximum aggregate amount which any full-time officer may receive under this section is $130 per month. No education incentive payments shall be made for any state law enforcement or correctional position for which the class specification requires the minimum of a 4-year degree, or higher.
(f) Nothing in this section may be construed to permit or require retroactive salary incentive payments.
(g) No employing agency shall use, or consider as a factor, any salary incentive payment for the purpose of circumventing payment of any salary or compensation plan which provides normal pay increases periodically to its officers.
(h) The commission shall establish rules as necessary to provide effectively for the proper administration of the salary incentive program, which shall include, but not be limited to:
1. Proper documentation and verification of any claimed training or education requirement.
2. Proper documentation and verification that the employing agency has provided in its salary structure and salary plans salary incentive payments for full-time officers as required in this section.
3. Proper documentation and verification that training received for purposes of salary incentive payment is job-related.
(i) Each employing agency shall annually submit reports to the commission containing information relative to compensation of full-time officers employed by it.
(j) The employing agency shall be responsible for the correct salary incentive payment to full-time officers. The commission may, in a postaudit capacity, review any action taken and order the correction of any error committed by an employing agency.
(3) If an officer holding concurrent certification is transferred or reassigned within the same employing agency from one discipline to another pursuant to s. 943.1395(2) and maintains full-time status in the new discipline, that officer shall continue to be eligible to receive salary incentive payments previously earned under the provisions of this section. However, no such officer shall receive aggregate salary incentive payments in excess of the maximum aggregate amount established in paragraph (2)(e).
(4) No individual filling a position in the Senior Management Service as defined in s. 110.402 is eligible to participate in the salary incentive program authorized by this section.
(5) An officer is not entitled to full or proportional salary incentive payments for training completed pursuant to s. 943.1395(7).
History.—s. 7, ch. 74-386; s. 1, ch. 77-436; s. 299, ch. 79-400; s. 11, ch. 80-71; s. 15, ch. 81-24; s. 6, ch. 83-259; s. 1, ch. 83-340; s. 19, ch. 84-258; s. 10, ch. 85-224; s. 15, ch. 86-187; s. 2, ch. 86-286; ss. 5, 6, ch. 87-186; s. 3, ch. 88-51; s. 5, ch. 91-429; s. 6, ch. 92-131; s. 9, ch. 2002-205; s. 1043, ch. 2002-387; s. 110, ch. 2003-1; s. 11, ch. 2005-100.