2014 Florida Statutes
Duties of farm labor contractor.
Duties of farm labor contractor.
1450.33 Duties of farm labor contractor.—Every farm labor contractor must:
(1) Carry his or her certificate of registration with him or her at all times and exhibit it to all persons with whom the farm labor contractor intends to deal in his or her capacity as a farm labor contractor prior to so dealing and, upon request, to persons designated by the department.
(2) Pay or distribute promptly, when due, to the individuals entitled thereto all moneys or other things of value entrusted to the registrant by any third person for such purpose.
(3) Comply with the terms and provisions of all legal and valid agreements and contracts entered into between the registrant in his or her capacity as a farm labor contractor and third person.
(4) Display prominently, at the site where the work is to be performed and on all vehicles used by the registrant for the transportation of employees, a single posting containing a written statement in English and in the language of the majority of the non-English-speaking employees disclosing the terms and conditions of employment in a form prescribed by the department or by the United States Department of Labor for this purpose.
(5) Take out a policy of insurance with any insurance carrier which policy insures such registrant against liability for damage to persons or property arising out of the operation or ownership of any vehicle or vehicles for the transportation of individuals in connection with his or her business, activities, or operations as a farm labor contractor. In no event may the amount of such liability insurance be less than that required by the provisions of the financial responsibility law of this state. Any insurance carrier that is licensed to operate in this state and that has issued a policy of liability insurance to operate a vehicle used to transport farm workers shall notify the department when it intends to cancel such policy.
(6) Maintain such records as may be designated by the department.
(7) Semimonthly or at the time of each payment of wages furnish each of the workers employed by him or her, either as a detachable part of the check, draft, or voucher paying the employee’s wages or separately, an itemized statement in writing showing in detail each and every deduction made from such wages.
(8) Produce evidence to the department that each vehicle he or she uses for the transportation of employees complies with the requirements and specifications established in chapter 316, s. 316.622, or 2Pub. L. No. 93-518 as amended by Pub. L. No. 97-470 meeting Department of Transportation requirements or, in lieu thereof, bears a valid inspection sticker showing that the vehicle has passed the inspection in the state in which the vehicle is registered.
(9) Comply with all applicable statutes, rules, and regulations of the United States and of the State of Florida for the protection or benefit of labor, including, but not limited to, those providing for wages, hours, fair labor standards, social security, workers’ compensation, reemployment assistance or unemployment compensation, child labor, and transportation.
(10) Maintain accurate daily field records for each employee actually paid by the farm labor contractor reflecting the hours worked for the farm labor contractor and, if paid by unit, the number of units harvested and the amount paid per unit.
(11) Clearly display on each vehicle used to transport migrant or seasonal farm workers a display sticker issued by the department, which states that the vehicle is authorized by the department to transport farm workers and the expiration date of the authorization.
History.—s. 7, ch. 71-234; s. 1, ch. 77-25; s. 5, ch. 83-42; ss. 1, 3, ch. 87-551; s. 5, ch. 90-245; s. 18, ch. 91-147; s. 29, ch. 92-173; s. 3, ch. 94-179; s. 205, ch. 96-410; s. 1077, ch. 97-103; s. 12, ch. 98-149; s. 146, ch. 2000-165; s. 15, ch. 2004-64; s. 9, ch. 2006-81; s. 20, ch. 2008-240; s. 75, ch. 2012-30.
1Note.—Section 1, ch. 77-25, provides that this section is repealed when an agreement is made as permitted in ss. 2-4, ch. 77-25; ss. 2-4, ch. 77-25, were amended by s. 1, ch. 85-243.
2Note.—Public L. No. 97-470 repealed Pub. L. No. 93-518.