2014 Florida Statutes
(1) Each seller of travel shall annually register with the department, providing: its legal business or trade name, mailing address, and business locations; the full names, addresses, and telephone numbers of its owners or corporate officers and directors and the Florida agent of the corporation; a statement whether it is a domestic or foreign corporation, its state and date of incorporation, its charter number, and, if a foreign corporation, the date it registered with this state, and business tax receipt where applicable; the date on which a seller of travel registered its fictitious name if the seller of travel is operating under a fictitious or trade name; the name of all other corporations, business entities, and trade names through which each owner of the seller of travel operated, was known, or did business as a seller of travel within the preceding 5 years; a list of all authorized independent agents, including the agent’s trade name, full name, mailing address, business address, and telephone numbers; the business location and address of each branch office and full name and address of the manager or supervisor; the certification required under s. 559.9285; and proof of purchase of adequate bond as required in this part. A certificate evidencing proof of registration shall be issued by the department and must be prominently displayed in the seller of travel’s primary place of business.
(2)(a) Registration fees shall be as follows:
1. Three hundred dollars per year per registrant certifying its business activities under s. 559.9285(1)(a).
2. One thousand dollars per year per registrant certifying its business activities under s. 559.9285(1)(b).
3. Twenty-five hundred dollars per year per registrant certifying its business activities under s. 559.9285(1)(c).
(b) All amounts collected shall be deposited by the Chief Financial Officer to the credit of the General Inspection Trust Fund of the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services pursuant to s. 570.20, for the sole purpose of administration of this part.
(3) Each independent agent shall annually file an affidavit with the department prior to engaging in business in this state. This affidavit must include the independent agent’s full name, legal business or trade name, mailing address, business address, telephone number, and the name and address of each seller of travel represented by the independent agent. A letter evidencing proof of filing must be issued by the department and must be prominently displayed in the independent agent’s primary place of business. Each independent agent must also submit an annual registration fee of $50. All moneys collected pursuant to the imposition of the fee shall be deposited by the Chief Financial Officer into the General Inspection Trust Fund of the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services for the sole purpose of administrating this part. As used in this subsection, the term “independent agent” means a person who represents a seller of travel by soliciting persons on its behalf; who has a written contract with a seller of travel which is operating in compliance with this part and any rules adopted thereunder; who does not receive a fee, commission, or other valuable consideration directly from the purchaser for the seller of travel; who does not at any time have any unissued ticket stock or travel documents in his or her possession; and who does not have the ability to issue tickets, vacation certificates, or any other travel document. The term “independent agent” does not include an affiliate of the seller of travel, as that term is used in s. 559.935(3), or the employees of the seller of travel or of such affiliates.
(4) Any person applying for or renewing a local business tax receipt to engage in business as a seller of travel must exhibit a current registration certificate from the department before the local business tax receipt may be issued or reissued.
(5) Each contract of a seller of travel must include the phrase “ (NAME OF FIRM) is registered with the State of Florida as a Seller of Travel. Registration No. .”
(6) Each advertisement of a seller of travel must include the phrase “Fla. Seller of Travel Reg. No. .”
(7) No registration shall be valid for any seller of travel transacting business at any place other than that designated in its application, unless the department is first notified in writing in advance of any change of location. Nor shall the registration be valid for an affiliate of the seller of travel who engages in the prearranged travel and tourist business. A registration issued under this part shall not be assignable, and the seller of travel shall not be permitted to conduct business under more than one name except as registered. A seller of travel desiring to change its registered name or location or designated agent for service of process at a time other than upon renewal of registration shall notify the department of such change.
(8) Applications under this section shall be subject to the provisions of s. 120.60.
(9) The department may deny or refuse to renew the registration of any seller of travel based upon a determination that the seller of travel, or any of its directors, officers, owners, or general partners:
(a) Has failed to meet the requirements for registration as provided in this part;
(b) Has been convicted of a crime involving fraud, dishonest dealing, or any other act of moral turpitude;
(c) Has not satisfied a civil fine or penalty arising out of any administrative or enforcement action brought by any governmental agency or private person based upon conduct involving fraud, dishonest dealing, or any violation of this part;
(d) Has pending against her or him any criminal, administrative, or enforcement proceedings in any jurisdiction, based upon conduct involving fraud, dishonest dealing, or any other act of moral turpitude; or
History.—ss. 1, 2, ch. 88-363; s. 6, ch. 89-296; s. 4, ch. 91-429; s. 88, ch. 92-291; s. 5, ch. 95-314; s. 833, ch. 97-103; s. 32, ch. 97-250; s. 684, ch. 2003-261; s. 6, ch. 2008-107; s. 2, ch. 2008-214; s. 37, ch. 2012-67.
Note.—Former s. 599.927(2), (3).