2015 Florida Statutes
Prerequisites to annexation.
Prerequisites to annexation.
171.042 Prerequisites to annexation.—
(1) Prior to commencing the annexation procedures under s. 171.0413, the governing body of the municipality shall prepare a report setting forth the plans to provide urban services to any area to be annexed, and the report shall include the following:
(a) A map or maps of the municipality and adjacent territory showing the present and proposed municipal boundaries, the present major trunk water mains and sewer interceptors and outfalls, the proposed extensions of such mains and outfalls, as required in paragraph (c), and the general land use pattern in the area to be annexed.
(b) A statement certifying that the area to be annexed meets the criteria in s. 171.043.
(c) A statement setting forth the plans of the municipality for extending to the area to be annexed each major municipal service performed within the municipality at the time of annexation. Specifically, such plans shall:
1. Provide for extending urban services except as otherwise provided herein to the area to be annexed on the date of annexation on substantially the same basis and in the same manner as such services are provided within the rest of the municipality prior to annexation.
2. Provide for the extension of existing municipal water and sewer services into the area to be annexed so that, when such services are provided, property owners in the area to be annexed will be able to secure public water and sewer service according to the policies in effect in such municipality for extending water and sewer lines to individual lots or subdivisions.
3. If extension of major trunk water mains and sewer mains into the area to be annexed is necessary, set forth a proposed timetable for construction of such mains as soon as possible following the effective date of annexation.
4. Set forth the method under which the municipality plans to finance extension of services into the area to be annexed.
(2) Not fewer than 15 days prior to commencing the annexation procedures under s. 171.0413, the governing body of the municipality shall file a copy of the report required by this section with the board of county commissioners of the county wherein the municipality is located. Failure to timely file the report as required in this subsection may be the basis for a cause of action invalidating the annexation.
(3) The governing body of the municipality shall, not less than 10 days prior to the date set for the first public hearing required by s. 171.0413(1), mail a written notice to each person who resides or owns property within the area proposed to be annexed. The notice must describe the annexation proposal, the time and place for each public hearing to be held regarding the annexation, and the place or places within the municipality where the proposed ordinance may be inspected by the public. A copy of the notice must be kept available for public inspection during the regular business hours of the office of the clerk of the governing body.
History.—s. 1, ch. 74-190; s. 3, ch. 75-297; s. 1, ch. 78-19; s. 13, ch. 81-167; s. 13, ch. 83-55; s. 5, ch. 84-241; s. 2, ch. 2006-218.