2021 Florida Statutes (Including 2021B Session)
318.13 Definitions.—The following words and phrases, when used in this chapter, shall have the meanings respectively ascribed to them in this section, except where the context otherwise requires:
(1) “Department” means Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, defined in s. 20.24, or the appropriate division thereof.
(2) “Suspension” means that a licensee’s privilege to drive a motor vehicle is temporarily withdrawn.
(3) “Infraction” means a noncriminal violation that may require community service hours under s. 316.027(4), but is not punishable by incarceration and for which there is no right to a trial by jury or a right to court-appointed counsel.
(4) “Official” means any judge authorized by law to preside over a court or hearing adjudicating traffic infractions.
(5) “Officer” means any law enforcement officer charged with and acting under his or her authority to arrest persons suspected of, or known to be, violating statutes or ordinances regulating traffic or the operation or equipment of vehicles. “Officer” includes any individual employed by a sheriff’s department or the police department of a chartered municipality who is acting as a traffic infraction enforcement officer as provided in s. 316.640.
History.—s. 1, ch. 74-377; s. 1, ch. 76-183; s. 1, ch. 77-119; s. 12, ch. 94-306; s. 907, ch. 95-148; s. 93, ch. 99-13; s. 248, ch. 99-248.