CS/SB 238: Death Penalty/Mental Retardation
GENERAL BILL by Criminal Justice ; Mitchell ; (CO-INTRODUCERS) Sullivan ; Sebesta ; Jones ; Dawson ; Holzendorf ; Wasserman Schultz ; Latvala ; Horne ; Clary ; Rossin ; Meek ; Dyer ; Lawson ; Garcia ; Lee ; Silver ; Campbell ; Smith ; Miller ; Crist
Death Penalty/Mental Retardation; defines term "mental retardation"; prohibits imposition of sentence of death if court determines that defendant has mental retardation; requires that defendant notify court of intention to raise mental retardation as bar to sentence of death; provides requirements for court in determining whether defendant has mental retardation; authorizes state to appeal determination of mental retardation, etc. Creates 921.137.
Last Action: 6/12/2001 - Approved by Governor; Chapter No. 2001-202
Bill Text: Web Page | PDF
• Referred to Criminal Justice; Appropriations Subcommittee on Public Safety and Judiciary; Appropriations
• On Committee agenda-- Criminal Justice, 02/13/01, 1:30 pm, 37-S
• CS by Criminal Justice; YEAS 7 NAYS 0
• Now in Appropriations Subcommittee on Public Safety and Judiciary
• Introduced, referred to Criminal Justice; Appropriations Subcommittee on Public Safety and Judiciary; Appropriations -SJ 00022; On Committee agenda-- Criminal Justice, 02/13/01, 1:30 pm, 37-S; CS by Criminal Justice; YEAS 7 NAYS 0 -SJ 00009; CS read first time on 03/06/01 -SJ 00061; Now in Appropriations Subcommittee on Public Safety and Judiciary -SJ 00009
• Withdrawn from Appropriations Subcommittee on Public Safety and Judiciary; Appropriations -SJ 00200; Placed on Calendar, on second reading
• Placed on Special Order Calendar -SJ 00228; Read second time -SJ 00237; Amendment(s) adopted -SJ 00237; Ordered engrossed -SJ 00237
• Read third time -SJ 00248; CS passed as amended; YEAS 40 NAYS 0 -SJ 00248
• In Messages
• Requested House to return -SJ 00296
• Returned -HJ 00457
• In returning messages -SJ 00310
• Reconsidered -SJ 00663; Amendment(s) adopted -SJ 00663; CS passed as amended; YEAS 32 NAYS 0 -SJ 00663
• In Messages
• Received, placed on Calendar, on second reading -HJ 02047; Read second and third times -HJ 02074; CS passed; YEAS 110 NAYS 1 -HJ 02074
• Ordered enrolled -SJ 02118
• Signed by Officers and presented to Governor
• Approved by Governor; Chapter No. 2001-202
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.