CS/HB 1297: Discretionary Sales Surtaxes
GENERAL BILL by State Affairs Committee ; Cummings ; Ray ; (CO-INTRODUCERS) Adkins ; Fant ; Jones, M. ; McBurney ; Renner ; Stevenson ; Van Zant
Discretionary Sales Surtaxes; Revises provisions concerning defined benefit retirement plans or systems; authorizes county to levy pension liability surtax by ordinance if certain conditions are met; prescribing form of ballot statement; requires DOR to distribute surtax proceeds; specifies manner in which local government may use surtax proceeds; prescribes requirements for imposition of surtax; specifies conditions under which surtax terminates; limits combined rate of specified discretionary sales surtaxes.
Last Action: 3/28/2016 - Chapter No. 2016-146
Location: Became Law
Bill Text: PDF
• Introduced -HJ 109
• Referred to Finance and Tax Committee; State Affairs Committee -HJ 229
• On Committee agenda-- Finance and Tax Committee, 01/27/16, 12:00 pm, Morris Hall
• Favorable by Finance and Tax Committee; YEAS 15 NAYS 1 -HJ 307
• Now in State Affairs Committee -HJ 307
• On Committee agenda-- State Affairs Committee, 02/10/16, 9:00 am, Morris Hall
• CS by- State Affairs Committee; YEAS 16 NAYS 2 -HJ 459
• Pending review of CS -under Rule 7.19(c)
• Placed on Calendar -HJ 458
• CS by State Affairs Committee read 1st time -HJ 457
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 02/23/16
• Read 2nd time -HJ 537
• Amendment(s) adopted (639349) -HJ 538
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -HJ 567
• CS passed as amended; YEAS 86 NAYS 23 -HJ 567
• In Messages
• Referred to Community Affairs; Finance and Tax; Rules -SJ 517
• Received -SJ 517
• Withdrawn from Community Affairs; Finance and Tax; Rules -SJ 792
• Placed on Calendar, on 2nd reading -SJ 792
• Substituted for CS/CS/SB 1652 -SJ 792
• Read 2nd time -SJ 792
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -SJ 848
• CS passed; YEAS 35 NAYS 1 -SJ 848
• Ordered enrolled -HJ 978
• Signed by Officers and presented to Governor -HJ 1434
• Approved by Governor
• Chapter No. 2016-146
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.