CS/CS/SB 344: Justifiable Use or Threatened Use of Defensive Force
GENERAL BILL by Rules ; Criminal Justice ; Bradley ; (CO-INTRODUCERS) Dean ; Evers ; Bean ; Simpson
Justifiable Use or Threatened Use of Defensive Force; Specifying that once a prima facie claim of self-defense immunity has been raised, the burden of proof shall be on the party seeking to overcome the immunity from criminal prosecution; entitling criminal defendants who successfully claim immunity to an award of specified costs, attorney fees, and related expenses if a court makes specified determinations; requiring reimbursements to be paid from the operating trust fund of the state attorney who prosecuted the defendant, etc.
Last Action: 3/11/2016 House - Died in Judiciary Committee
Bill Text: Web Page | PDF
- Criminal Justice (CJ)
- Appropriations Subcommittee on Criminal and Civil Justice (ACJ)
- Rules (RC)
• Referred to Criminal Justice; Judiciary; Rules -SJ 28
• On Committee agenda-- Criminal Justice, 10/20/15, 9:00 am, 37 Senate Office Building
• CS by Criminal Justice; YEAS 4 NAYS 1 -SJ 127
• Pending reference review under Rule 4.7(2) - (Committee Substitute)
• Original reference(s) removed: Judiciary
• Remaining references corrected to Appropriations Subcommittee on Criminal and Civil Justice; Rules -SJ 124
• Now in Appropriations Subcommittee on Criminal and Civil Justice
• On Committee agenda-- Appropriations Subcommittee on Criminal and Civil Justice, 11/18/15, 10:00 am, 37 Senate Office Building
• Subcommittee Recommendation: Favorable by Appropriations Subcommittee on Criminal and Civil Justice; YEAS 5 NAYS 1 -SJ 128
• Now in Rules -SJ 128
• On Committee agenda-- Rules, 12/03/15, 1:00 pm, 110 Senate Office Building
• CS/CS by- Rules; YEAS 12 NAYS 0 -SJ 128
• Pending reference review -under Rule 4.7(2) - (Committee Substitute)
• Placed on Calendar, on 2nd reading -SJ 128
• Introduced -SJ 28
• CS by Criminal Justice read 1st time -SJ 112
• CS/CS by Rules read 1st time -SJ 112
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 01/21/16
• Read 2nd time -SJ 235
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -SJ 266
• CS passed; YEAS 24 NAYS 12 -SJ 266
• In Messages
• Referred to Judiciary Committee -HJ 455
• Received -HJ 455
• Died in Judiciary Committee
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.