CS/HB 267: Estates
GENERAL BILL by Civil Justice and Claims Subcommittee ; Berman
Estates; Provides decedent's property interest in protected homestead is included in elective estate; revises circumstances under which decedent's property interest in protected homestead is excluded; requires payment of interest on unpaid portion of person's required contribution toward elective share with respect to certain property; includes protected homestead in valuation of surviving spouse's interest in property; provides for award of fees & costs in certain proceedings; provides surviving spouse may require trustee of marital or elective share trust to make property productive of income.
Last Action: 4/27/2017 House - Laid on Table, companion bill(s) passed, see CS/CS/SB 724 (Ch. 2017-121) -HJ 940
Bill Text: PDF
• Referred to Civil Justice and Claims Subcommittee; Agriculture and Property Rights Subcommittee; Judiciary Committee -HJ 49
• Introduced -HJ 49
• PCS on Committee agenda-- Civil Justice and Claims Subcommittee, 03/13/17, 1:30 pm, Sumner Hall
• CS by Civil Justice and Claims Subcommittee; YEAS 15 NAYS 0 -HJ 369
• Pending review of CS under Rule 7.18(c)
• CS by Civil Justice and Claims Subcommittee read 1st time -HJ 365
• Now in Agriculture and Property Rights Subcommittee -HJ 389
• On Committee agenda-- Agriculture and Property Rights Subcommittee, 03/28/17, 9:00 am, 12 HOB
• Favorable by Agriculture and Property Rights Subcommittee; YEAS 11 NAYS 0 -HJ 465
• Now in Judiciary Committee -HJ 465
• On Committee agenda-- Judiciary Committee, 04/24/17, 2:00 pm, Sumner Hall
• Favorable by- Judiciary Committee; YEAS 18 NAYS 0 -HJ 806
• Placed on Calendar -HJ 806
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 04/27/17
• Substituted CS/CS/SB 724 -HJ 940
• Laid on Table, companion bill(s) passed, see CS/CS/SB 724 (Ch. 2017-121) -HJ 940
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.