CS/HB 399: Guardianship
GENERAL BILL by Civil Justice and Claims Subcommittee ; Diamond ; Spano
Guardianship; Requires each examining committee member in proceeding to determine incapacity to file report with clerk of court within specified time; requires clerk to serve each report on specified persons within specified time; revises time before hearing on petition within which specified parties must be served; authorizes petitioner & alleged incapacitated person to move for continuance if service is not timely & to object to introduction of all or any part of report; specifies that admissibility of report is governed by rules of evidence; requires that adjudicatory hearing be conducted within specified time; changes time that guardian has to file required annual guardianship plan; eliminates requirement that court must first find that ward's spouse has consented to dissolution of marriage before authorizing guardian to exercise specified rights; removes cap on funeral expenses.
• Referred to Civil Justice and Claims Subcommittee; Children, Families and Seniors Subcommittee; Judiciary Committee -HJ 58
• On Committee agenda-- Civil Justice and Claims Subcommittee, 02/23/17, 9:30 am, Sumner Hall
• CS by Civil Justice and Claims Subcommittee; YEAS 12 NAYS 1 -HJ 276
• Pending review of CS under Rule 7.18(c)
• Now in Children, Families and Seniors Subcommittee -HJ 269
• On Committee agenda-- Children, Families and Seniors Subcommittee, 03/08/17, 12:00 pm, 12 HOB
• Introduced -HJ 58
• CS by Civil Justice and Claims Subcommittee read 1st time -HJ 263
• Favorable by Children, Families and Seniors Subcommittee; YEAS 12 NAYS 1 -HJ 336
• Now in Judiciary Committee -HJ 336
• On Committee agenda-- Judiciary Committee, 03/23/17, 9:00 am, Sumner Hall
• Favorable by- Judiciary Committee; YEAS 17 NAYS 1 -HJ 458
• Placed on Calendar -HJ 458
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 04/04/17
• Read 2nd time -HJ 541
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -HJ 575
• CS passed; YEAS 93 NAYS 22 -HJ 575
• In Messages
• Referred to Children, Families, and Elder Affairs; Judiciary; Rules -SJ 394
• Received -SJ 394
• Withdrawn from Children, Families, and Elder Affairs; Judiciary; Rules -SJ 397
• Placed on Calendar, on 2nd reading -SJ 397
• Substituted for CS/CS/SB 172 -SJ 397
• Read 2nd time -SJ 397
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -SJ 419
• CS passed; YEAS 39 NAYS 0 -SJ 419
• Ordered enrolled -HJ 744
• Signed by Officers and presented to Governor
• Approved by Governor
• Chapter No. 2017-16
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.