CS/CS/HB 1237: Towing and Immobilizing Vehicles and Vessels
GENERAL BILL by State Affairs Committee ; Business and Professions Subcommittee ; McClain ; Ponder ; (CO-INTRODUCERS) Roth
Towing and Immobilizing Vehicles and Vessels; Authorizes local governments to enact rates to tow vessels on private property & remove & store vessels; prohibits counties or municipalities from enacting ordinances imposing costs or penalties on owners, persons in control, or lienholders of vehicles or vessels or that require wrecker operators or towing businesses to accept specified form of payment; authorizes persons to place liens on vehicles or vessels to recover fees or charges; removes requirement regarding notices & signs concerning towing or removal of vehicles & vessels & liability for attorney fees; prohibits counties or municipalities from authorizing attorney fees in connection with towing activities & preempts to state regulation of such fees.
Last Action: 5/3/2019 Senate - Died in Community Affairs
Bill Text: PDF
- Community Affairs (CA)
- Infrastructure and Security (IS)
- Rules (RC)
• Introduced -HJ 125
• Referred to Local, Federal and Veterans Affairs Subcommittee; Business and Professions Subcommittee; State Affairs Committee -HJ 377
• On Committee agenda-- Local, Federal and Veterans Affairs Subcommittee, 03/19/19, 8:00 am, 12 HOB
• Favorable by Local, Federal and Veterans Affairs Subcommittee; YEAS 12 NAYS 1 -HJ 448
• Now in Business and Professions Subcommittee -HJ 448
• On Committee agenda-- Business and Professions Subcommittee, 03/26/19, 12:00 pm, Webster Hall
• CS by Business and Professions Subcommittee; YEAS 14 NAYS 0 -HJ 538
• Pending review of CS under Rule 7.18(c)
• CS by Business and Professions Subcommittee read 1st time -HJ 535
• Now in State Affairs Committee -HJ 551
• On Committee agenda-- State Affairs Committee, 04/10/19, 8:00 am, Morris Hall
• CS/CS by- State Affairs Committee; YEAS 20 NAYS 1 -HJ 634
• Pending review of CS -under Rule 7.18(c)
• CS/CS by State Affairs Committee read 1st time -HJ 629
• Placed on Calendar -HJ 672
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 04/17/19
• Temporarily postponed, on 2nd Reading -HJ 711
• Read 2nd time -HJ 720, 721
• Amendment(s) adopted (560115, 759219, 977681) -HJ 721
• Read 3rd time -HJ 721
• CS passed as amended; YEAS 83 NAYS 31 -HJ 722
• In Messages
• Referred to Community Affairs; Infrastructure and Security; Rules -SJ 467
• Received -SJ 467
• Indefinitely postponed and withdrawn from consideration
• Died in Community Affairs
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.