CS/HB 551: Public Nuisances
GENERAL BILL by Civil Justice Subcommittee ; McClain ; Payne ; (CO-INTRODUCERS) Cortes ; Stone
Public Nuisances; Revises notice requirements for temporary injunctions relating to enjoinment of certain nuisances & extends notice period before lien may attach to certain real estate; provides that use of location for criminal or gang-related activity is public nuisance; declares that any place used on more than two occasions within certain period as site of specified violations is nuisance & may be abated or enjoined; provides property owner opportunity to remedy nuisance before specified legal actions may be taken against property in certain circumstances.
Last Action: 5/3/2019 Senate - Died in Criminal Justice
Bill Text: PDF
• Referred to Civil Justice Subcommittee; Local, Federal and Veterans Affairs Subcommittee; Judiciary Committee -HJ 66
• Introduced -HJ 66
• On Committee agenda-- Civil Justice Subcommittee, 03/25/19, 3:00 pm, Sumner Hall
• CS by Civil Justice Subcommittee; YEAS 15 NAYS 0 -HJ 520
• Pending review of CS under Rule 7.18(c)
• CS by Civil Justice Subcommittee read 1st time -HJ 492
• Original reference(s) removed: Local, Federal and Veterans Affairs Subcommittee
• CS referred to State Affairs Committee; Judiciary Committee -HJ 536
• Now in State Affairs Committee -HJ 536
• On Committee agenda-- State Affairs Committee, 04/10/19, 8:00 am, Morris Hall
• Favorable by State Affairs Committee; YEAS 20 NAYS 0 -HJ 633
• Now in Judiciary Committee -HJ 633
• On Committee agenda-- Judiciary Committee, 04/16/19, 1:30 pm, Sumner Hall
• Favorable by- Judiciary Committee; YEAS 18 NAYS 0 -HJ 745
• Placed on Calendar -HJ 745
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 04/24/19
• Read 2nd time -HJ 814
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -HJ 864
• CS passed; YEAS 112 NAYS 0 -HJ 864
• In Messages
• Referred to Criminal Justice; Community Affairs; Rules -SJ 503
• Received -SJ 503
• Indefinitely postponed and withdrawn from consideration
• Died in Criminal Justice
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.