CS/CS/HB 1137: Consumer Protection
GENERAL BILL by Commerce Committee ; Insurance and Banking Subcommittee ; Clemons
Consumer Protection; Revises electronic signature provisions for salvage certificates of title; prohibits certain charges for removal of security freeze; prohibits unlicensed activity by adjusting firms & bail bond agents; provides administrative & criminal penalties; revises status, notice, & payment requirements for claims; revises classes of insurance subject to disclosure requirement before eligible for export under Surplus Lines Law; prohibits certain writing of industrial life insurance policies; revises Homeowner Claims Bill of Rights; extends expiration date for authorization of surplus lines agents to export flood coverage contracts or endorsements; removes certain deductible obligation of Florida Insurance Guaranty Association; revises unclaimed property recovery & purchase agreements; requires DFS to adopt rules.
Last Action: 3/14/2020 House - Died on Calendar
Bill Text: PDF
• Referred to Insurance and Banking Subcommittee; Government Operations and Technology Appropriations Subcommittee; Commerce Committee -HJ 99
• Introduced -HJ 99
• On Committee agenda-- Insurance and Banking Subcommittee, 01/28/20, 3:30 pm, Sumner Hall
• CS by Insurance and Banking Subcommittee; YEAS 12 NAYS 0 -HJ 471
• Pending review of CS under Rule 7.18(c)
• Now in Government Operations and Technology Appropriations Subcommittee -HJ 470
• CS by Insurance and Banking Subcommittee read 1st time -HJ 469
• On Committee agenda-- Government Operations and Technology Appropriations Subcommittee, 02/04/20, 12:00 pm, Morris Hall
• Favorable by Government Operations and Technology Appropriations Subcommittee; YEAS 13 NAYS 0 -HJ 505
• Now in Commerce Committee -HJ 505
• On Committee agenda-- Commerce Committee, 02/13/20, 9:00 am, Webster Hall
• CS/CS by- Commerce Committee; YEAS 23 NAYS 0 -HJ 585
• Pending review of CS -under Rule 7.18(c)
• CS/CS by Commerce Committee read 1st time -HJ 584
• Placed on Calendar -HJ 627
• Indefinitely postponed and withdrawn from consideration
• Died on Calendar
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.