HB 581: Civic Education
GENERAL BILL by Diamond ; Aloupis ; (CO-INTRODUCERS) Byrd ; Donalds ; Hogan Johnson ; Jacquet
Civic Education; Requires Commissioner of Education to develop minimum criteria for nonpartisan civic literacy practicum & process to verify successful completion of such practicum; provides requirements for such practicum; requires SBE to annually designate public schools that meet specified criteria as Freedom Schools & establish criteria for designation as Freedom School; provides requirements for such criteria.
Last Action: 3/14/2020 House - Died on Calendar
Bill Text: PDF
• Referred to PreK-12 Innovation Subcommittee; PreK-12 Appropriations Subcommittee; Education Committee -HJ 48
• On Committee agenda-- PreK-12 Innovation Subcommittee, 12/11/19, 4:00 pm, Reed Hall
• Favorable by PreK-12 Innovation Subcommittee; YEAS 15 NAYS 0 -HJ 304
• Now in PreK-12 Appropriations Subcommittee -HJ 304
• Introduced -HJ 48
• On Committee agenda-- PreK-12 Appropriations Subcommittee, 01/29/20, 8:30 am, Reed Hall
• Favorable by PreK-12 Appropriations Subcommittee; YEAS 12 NAYS 0 -HJ 464
• Now in Education Committee -HJ 464
• On Committee agenda-- Education Committee, 02/06/20, 12:00 pm, Webster Hall
• Favorable by- Education Committee; YEAS 16 NAYS 0 -HJ 526
• Placed on Calendar -HJ 526
• Indefinitely postponed and withdrawn from consideration
• Died on Calendar
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.