- Florida Statutes Definitions Index (2022) [PDF]
- General Laws Conversion Table (2022) [PDF]
- Preface to the Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Table of Section Changes (2022) [PDF]
- Table Tracing Session Laws to Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1971-2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1845-1970) [PDF]
- Statute Search Tips
2004 Florida Statutes
310.051 Personnel; employment.--
(1) The department may appoint or employ such personnel as may be necessary to assist the department and the board in doing and performing any and all of the powers, duties, and obligations set forth in this chapter. Such personnel need not be licensed state pilots or members of the board. Such personnel shall be authorized to do and perform such duties and work as may be assigned by the department. Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, the department shall provide all legal services necessary in carrying out the provisions of this chapter.
(2) The department shall hire a person knowledgeable and experienced in matters related to piloting. Such person shall act for the department on matters of examination and investigation and, when he or she deems it necessary, in the selection of legal counsel qualified in admiralty law. On an annual basis, the board shall recommend to the department a person knowledgeable and experienced in matters related to piloting to fill this post, and the department may accept or reject the recommendation. If the department rejects the board's recommendation, the board shall continue to submit recommendations until one is accepted by the department. Unless there is affirmative action by both the board and the department, at the end of each year, the position shall be declared vacant and the board shall submit a new recommendation for a person to fill such position.
History.--s. 2, ch. 75-201; s. 3, ch. 76-168; s. 1, ch. 77-457; ss. 5, 16, ch. 78-140; s. 2, ch. 81-318; ss. 2, 3, ch. 84-185; ss. 10, 11, ch. 86-280; s. 2, ch. 89-262; s. 4, ch. 91-429; s. 280, ch. 95-148.