2013 Florida Statutes
468.452 Definitions.—For purposes of this part, the term:
(1) “Agent contract” means a contract or agreement in which a student athlete authorizes an athlete agent to represent the student in the marketing of the student’s athletic ability or athletic reputation.
(2) “Athlete agent” means a person who, directly or indirectly, recruits or solicits a student athlete to enter into an agent contract, or who, for any type of financial gain, procures, offers, promises, or attempts to obtain employment or promotional fees or benefits for a student athlete with a professional sports team or as a professional athlete, or with any promoter who markets or attempts to market the student athlete’s athletic ability or athletic reputation. This term includes all employees and other persons acting on behalf of an athlete agent who participate in the activities included under this subsection. The term does not include a spouse, parent, sibling, grandparent, or guardian of the student athlete or an individual acting solely on behalf of a professional sports team or professional sports organization.
(3) “Contact” means communication between an athlete agent and a student athlete, by whatever means, directly or indirectly, for the purpose of entering or soliciting entry into an agent contract.
(4) “Department” means the Department of Business and Professional Regulation.
(5) “Student athlete” means any student who:
(a) Resides in Florida, has informed, in writing, a college or university of the student’s intent to participate in that school’s intercollegiate athletics, or who does participate in that school’s intercollegiate athletics and is eligible to do so; or
(b) Does not reside in Florida, but has informed, in writing, a college or university in Florida of the student’s intent to participate in that school’s intercollegiate athletics, or who does participate in that school’s intercollegiate athletics and is eligible to do so.
(6) “Financial services” means the counseling on or the making or execution of investment and other financial decisions by the agent on behalf of the student athlete.
(7) “Participation” means practicing, competing, or otherwise representing a college or university in intercollegiate athletics.
History.—s. 2, ch. 88-229; s. 1, ch. 89-296; s. 4, ch. 91-429; s. 30, ch. 94-119; s. 2, ch. 95-307; s. 1, ch. 2002-24.