- Florida Statutes Definitions Index (2022) [PDF]
- General Laws Conversion Table (2022) [PDF]
- Preface to the Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Table of Section Changes (2022) [PDF]
- Table Tracing Session Laws to Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1971-2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1845-1970) [PDF]
- Statute Search Tips
2018 Florida Statutes
Preneed license required.
Preneed license required.
497.452 Preneed license required.—
(1)(a) No person, including any cemetery exempt under s. 497.260, may sell, advertise to sell, or make an arrangement for a preneed contract without first having a valid preneed license.
(b) No person, including any cemetery exempt under s. 497.260, may sell, advertise to sell, or make an arrangement for services, merchandise, or burial rights on a preneed basis unless such person is authorized pursuant to this chapter to provide such services, merchandise, or burial rights on an at-need basis.
(2)(a) No person may receive any funds for payment on a preneed contract who does not hold a valid preneed license.
(b) The provisions of paragraph (a) do not apply to a trust company operating pursuant to chapter 660, to a national or state bank holding trust powers, or to a federal or state savings and loan association having trust powers which company, bank, or association receives any money in trust pursuant to the sale of a preneed contract.
(3) No person may obtain a preneed license under this chapter for the preneed sale of merchandise or services unless such person or its agent, in the case of a corporate entity, holds a license as a funeral establishment, cemetery company, direct disposal establishment, or monument establishment.
(4) The provisions of this section do not apply to religious-institution-owned cemeteries exempt under s. 497.260(1)(d), in counties with a population of at least 960,000 persons on July 1, 1996, with respect to the sale to the religious institution’s members and their families of interment rights, mausoleums, crypts, cremation niches, cremation interment containers, vaults, liners, urns, memorials, vases, foundations, memorial bases, floral arrangements, monuments, markers, engraving, and the opening and closing of interment rights, mausoleums, crypts, cremation niches, and cremation interment containers, if such cemeteries have engaged in the sale of preneed contracts prior to October 1, 1993, and maintain a positive net worth at the end of each fiscal year of the cemetery.
History.—s. 4, ch. 28211, 1953; s. 24, ch. 57-1; s. 5, ch. 65-393; ss. 13, 35, ch. 69-106; s. 3, ch. 77-438; s. 2, ch. 81-318; ss. 3, 31, 32, ch. 83-316; s. 3, ch. 88-139; ss. 92, 122, ch. 93-399; s. 19, ch. 96-400; s. 9, ch. 2000-195; s. 8, ch. 2001-120; s. 101, ch. 2004-301; s. 18, ch. 2016-172.
Note.—Former s. 639.09; s. 497.405.