(1) The purpose of this section is to make available for the use of the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles sufficient floor space to enable it to efficiently administer the affairs of the department and to provide fees for copies of public records.
(2) Fees for copies of public records shall be charged and collected as follows:
(a) For a crash report, a copy..........$10
(b) For a homicide report, a copy..........$25
(c) For a uniform traffic citation, a copy..........$0.50
(d) Photographs (accidents, etc.):
|1.||5″ x 7″||$1.00||$0.75|
|2.||8″ x 10″||$1.50||$1.00|
|3.||11″ x 14″||Not Available||$1.75|
|4.||16″ x 20″||Not Available||$2.75|
|5.||20″ x 24″||Not Available||$3.75|
The department shall furnish such information without charge to any local, state, or federal law enforcement agency upon proof satisfactory to the department as to the purpose of the investigation.
(3) Fees collected under this section shall be deposited in the Highway Safety Operating Trust Fund, unless the department provides the crash report online, in which case the department may distribute up to $5 of the amount collected per copy to the investigating agency.
(4) The department may destroy reports, records, documents, papers, and correspondence which are considered obsolete.
(5) The department may scan, photograph, microphotograph, or reproduce on film such documents, records, and reports as it may select. The photographs or microphotographs in the form of film or print of any records made in compliance with the provisions of this section shall have the same force and effect as the originals and shall be treated as originals for the purpose of their admissibility in evidence. Duly certified or authenticated reproductions of such photographs or microphotographs shall be admitted in evidence equally with the original photographs or microphotographs.