HB 549: Offenses Concerning Racketeering and Illegal Debts
GENERAL BILL by Burton
Offenses Concerning Racketeering and Illegal Debts; Authorizes investigative agency to institute civil proceeding for forfeiture in circuit court in certain circumstances; revises grounds for an action; authorizes court to order forfeiture of other property of defendant up to value of unavailable property in certain circumstances; authorizes DLA to bring an action for certain violations; provides for civil penalties for natural persons & other persons; authorizes party to specific civil action to petition for entry of consent decree or settlement agreement & provides requirements; revises provisions relating to subpoena confidentiality; provides that investigative agency has authority to stipulate to protective orders with respect to documents & information submitted in response to subpoena; provides for distribution of forfeiture proceeds to victims.
Last Action: 3/24/2016 - Chapter No. 2016-84
Location: Became Law
Bill Text: PDF
• Referred to Civil Justice Subcommittee; Justice Appropriations Subcommittee; Judiciary Committee -HJ 48
• On Committee agenda-- Civil Justice Subcommittee, 12/02/15, 8:30 am, Sumner Hall
• Favorable by Civil Justice Subcommittee; YEAS 12 NAYS 0 -HJ 165
• Now in Justice Appropriations Subcommittee -HJ 165
• On Committee agenda-- Justice Appropriations Subcommittee, 01/13/16, 1:00 pm, Morris Hall
• Introduced -HJ 48
• Favorable by Justice Appropriations Subcommittee; YEAS 11 NAYS 0 -HJ 217
• Now in Judiciary Committee -HJ 217
• On Committee agenda-- Judiciary Committee, 02/04/16, 9:00 am, Sumner Hall
• Favorable by- Judiciary Committee; YEAS 17 NAYS 0 -HJ 399
• Placed on Calendar -HJ 399
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 02/23/16
• Read 2nd time -HJ 545
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -HJ 576
• Passed; YEAS 111 NAYS 0 -HJ 577
• In Messages
• Referred to Criminal Justice; Appropriations Subcommittee on Criminal and Civil Justice; Appropriations -SJ 515
• Received -SJ 515
• Withdrawn from Criminal Justice; Appropriations Subcommittee on Criminal and Civil Justice; Appropriations -SJ 671
• Placed on Calendar, on 2nd reading -SJ 671
• Substituted for SB 850 -SJ 671
• Read 2nd time -SJ 671
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -SJ 737
• Passed; YEAS 38 NAYS 0 -SJ 737
• Ordered enrolled -HJ 891
• Signed by Officers and presented to Governor -HJ 980
• Approved by Governor
• Chapter No. 2016-84
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.