CS/CS/HB 889: Contraband Forfeiture
GENERAL BILL by Judiciary Committee ; Criminal Justice Subcommittee ; Metz ; Caldwell ; (CO-INTRODUCERS) Mayfield ; Renner ; Steube
Contraband Forfeiture; Specifies circumstances under which property may be seized; requires that specified persons approve settlement; provides circumstances when property may be deemed contraband; allocates responsibility for damage to seized property & payment of storage & maintenance expenses; provides procedure for judicial review of seizures; requires seizing agency to pay filing fee to & deposit bond with clerk of court by; specifies circumstances when court shall order forfeiture of seized property; provides reporting requirements for seized property for forfeiture; provides penalties for noncompliance with reporting requirements.
Last Action: 3/7/2016 House - Laid on Table, companion bill(s) passed, see CS/CS/SB 1044 (Ch. 2016-179) -HJ 870
Bill Text: PDF
• Referred to Criminal Justice Subcommittee; Appropriations Committee; Judiciary Committee -HJ 76
• Introduced -HJ 76
• On Committee agenda-- Criminal Justice Subcommittee, 01/25/16, 4:00 pm, Sumner Hall
• CS by Criminal Justice Subcommittee; YEAS 9 NAYS 2 -HJ 333
• Pending review of CS under Rule 7.19(c)
• CS by Criminal Justice Subcommittee read 1st time -HJ 330
• Now in Appropriations Committee -HJ 362
• On Committee agenda-- Appropriations Committee, 02/22/16, 3:00 pm, Webster Hall
• Favorable by Appropriations Committee; YEAS 22 NAYS 3 -HJ 561
• Now in Judiciary Committee -HJ 561
• On Committee agenda-- Judiciary Committee, 02/25/16, 1:00 pm, Sumner Hall
• CS/CS by- Judiciary Committee; YEAS 17 NAYS 0 -HJ 604
• Pending review of CS -under Rule 7.19(c)
• Placed on Calendar -HJ 604
• CS/CS by Judiciary Committee read 1st time -HJ 602
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 03/07/16
• Substituted CS/CS/SB 1044 -HJ 870
• Laid on Table, companion bill(s) passed, see CS/CS/SB 1044 (Ch. 2016-179) -HJ 870
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.