SB 186: Resign-to-run Law
GENERAL BILL by Hutson
Resign-to-run Law; Requiring an officer who qualifies for federal public office to resign from the office he or she presently holds if the terms, or any part thereof, run concurrently; prescribing requirements for the written resignation; providing for an automatic irrevocable resignation in the event of noncompliance, etc.
Last Action: 2/1/2018 House - In Messages
Bill Text: Web Page | PDF
• Referred to Ethics and Elections; Judiciary; Rules -SJ 20
• On Committee agenda-- Ethics and Elections, 10/10/17, 2:00 pm, 412 Knott Building
• Favorable by Ethics and Elections; YEAS 8 NAYS 0 -SJ 102
• Now in Judiciary -SJ 102
• On Committee agenda-- Judiciary, 10/24/17, 3:00 pm, 110 Senate Office Building
• Favorable by Judiciary; YEAS 5 NAYS 3 -SJ 102
• Now in Rules -SJ 102
• On Committee agenda-- Rules, 01/11/18, 9:00 am, 110 Senate Office Building
• Introduced -SJ 20
• Favorable by- Rules; YEAS 9 NAYS 1 -SJ 141
• Placed on Calendar, on 2nd reading -SJ 141
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 01/24/18
• Read 2nd time -SJ 219
• Amendment(s) adopted (732966) -SJ 219
• Ordered engrossed -SJ 219
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -SJ 241
• Passed as amended; YEAS 27 NAYS 7 -SJ 241
• In Messages
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.