CS/CS/HB 5: Discretionary Sales Surtaxes
GENERAL BILL by State Affairs Committee ; Local, Federal and Veterans Affairs Subcommittee ; DiCeglie ; (CO-INTRODUCERS) Beltran ; Bush ; Hill
Discretionary Sales Surtaxes; Requires two-thirds vote of certain county governing boards to authorize discretionary sales surtax; requires local government discretionary sales surtax referenda to be held on specified date; requires such referenda to be approved by specified percentage of voters for passage; revises requirements & procedures for discretionary sales surtax performance audits; requires OPPAGA, upon receiving certain notice, to procure certified public accountant for performance audit; requires supervisor of elections to verify petition signatures & retain signature forms in specified manner; provides that an initiative sponsor's failure to comply with specified requirements renders any referendum held void.
Last Action: 4/18/2019 Senate - Referred to Community Affairs; Finance and Tax; Appropriations
Bill Text: PDF
• Referred to Local, Federal and Veterans Affairs Subcommittee; Ways and Means Committee; State Affairs Committee -HJ 22
• PCS on Committee agenda-- Local, Federal and Veterans Affairs Subcommittee, 03/05/19, 1:00 pm, 12 HOB
• Introduced -HJ 22
• CS by Local, Federal and Veterans Affairs Subcommittee; YEAS 9 NAYS 3 -HJ 363
• Pending review of CS under Rule 7.18(c)
• Now in Ways and Means Committee -HJ 349
• CS by Local, Federal and Veterans Affairs Subcommittee read 1st time -HJ 345
• On Committee agenda-- Ways and Means Committee, 03/12/19, 4:00 pm, Morris Hall
• Favorable by Ways and Means Committee; YEAS 12 NAYS 5 -HJ 402
• Now in State Affairs Committee -HJ 402
• On Committee agenda-- State Affairs Committee, 03/28/19, 10:30 am, Morris Hall
• CS/CS by- State Affairs Committee; YEAS 14 NAYS 7 -HJ 545
• Pending review of CS -under Rule 7.18(c)
• CS/CS by State Affairs Committee read 1st time -HJ 548
• Placed on Calendar -HJ 554
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 04/10/19
• Read 2nd time -HJ 621
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -HJ 659
• CS passed; YEAS 69 NAYS 44 -HJ 659
• In Messages
• Referred to Community Affairs; Finance and Tax; Appropriations
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.