CS/HB 1265: Verification of Employment Eligibility
GENERAL BILL by Commerce Committee ; Byrd ; Fitzenhagen ; (CO-INTRODUCERS) Andrade ; Beltran ; Donalds ; Eagle ; Fine ; Hill ; Ingoglia ; Leek ; Rommel ; Roth ; Sabatini ; Santiago ; Sirois ; Williamson
Verification of Employment Eligibility; Prohibits approval of certain applications after specified date; requires awardee to repay certain moneys within specified timeframe; requires public employers, contractors, & subcontractors to use E-Verify system for specified purposes; prohibits such entities from entering into contract unless each party to contract uses E-Verify system; authorizes termination of contract; provides liability; requires private employers to verify employment eligibility of newly hired employees; provides acceptable methods for verification; provides specified immunity & creates rebuttable presumption; requires private employers to provide copies of certain documents, upon request, to specified persons & entities for certain purposes; prohibits such persons & entities from making independent determination; requires affidavit; provides for suspension or revocation of certain licenses.
Last Action: 3/10/2020 House - Laid on Table, companion bill(s) passed, see CS/CS/CS/SB 664 (Ch. 2020-149) -HJ 1070
Bill Text: PDF
• Introduced -HJ 112
• Referred to Commerce Committee; Appropriations Committee; State Affairs Committee -HJ 399
• PCS on Committee agenda-- Commerce Committee, 02/27/20, 8:00 am, Webster Hall
• CS by Commerce Committee; YEAS 15 NAYS 8 -HJ 694
• Pending review of CS under Rule 7.18(c)
• Original reference(s) removed: Appropriations Committee
• CS referred to State Affairs Committee -HJ 693
• Now in State Affairs Committee -HJ 693
• On Committee agenda-- State Affairs Committee, 03/02/20, 9:00 am, Morris Hall
• Favorable by- State Affairs Committee; YEAS 16 NAYS 7 -HJ 695
• Placed on Calendar -HJ 695
• CS by Commerce Committee read 1st time -HJ 689
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 03/06/20
• Temporarily postponed, on 2nd Reading -HJ 891
• Laid on Table, companion bill(s) passed, see CS/CS/CS/SB 664 (Ch. 2020-149) -HJ 1070
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.