2004 Florida Statutes
(1) "Account" means any one of the three accounts created by s. 631.55
(2) "Association" means the Florida Insurance Guaranty Association, Incorporated.
(3) "Covered claim" means an unpaid claim, including one of unearned premiums, which arises out of, and is within the coverage, and not in excess of, the applicable limits of an insurance policy to which this part applies, issued by an insurer, if such insurer becomes an insolvent insurer and the claimant or insured is a resident of this state at the time of the insured event or the property from which the claim arises is permanently located in this state. "Covered claim" shall not include:
(a) Any amount due any reinsurer, insurer, insurance pool, or underwriting association, sought directly or indirectly through a third party, as subrogation, contribution, indemnification, or otherwise; or
(b) Any claim that would otherwise be a covered claim under this part that has been rejected by any other state guaranty fund on the grounds that an insured's net worth is greater than that allowed under that state's guaranty law. Member insurers shall have no right of subrogation, contribution, indemnification, or otherwise, sought directly or indirectly through a third party, against the insured of any insolvent member.
(4) "Expenses in handling claims" means allocated and unallocated expenses, including, but not limited to, general administrative expenses and those expenses which relate to the investigation, adjustment, defense, or settlement of specific claims under, or arising out of, a specific policy.
(5) "Insolvent insurer" means a member insurer authorized to transact insurance in this state, either at the time the policy was issued or when the insured event occurred, and against which an order of liquidation with a finding of insolvency has been entered by a court of competent jurisdiction if such order has become final by the exhaustion of appellate review.
(6) "Member insurer" means any person who writes any kind of insurance to which this part applies under s. 631.52, including the exchange of reciprocal or interinsurance contracts, and is licensed to transact insurance in this state.
(7) "Net direct written premiums" means direct gross premiums written in this state on insurance policies to which this part applies, less return premiums thereon and dividends paid or credited to policyholders on such direct business. "Net direct written premiums" does not include premiums on contracts between insurers or reinsurers.
(8) "Person" means individuals, children, firms, associations, joint ventures, partnerships, estates, trusts, business trusts, syndicates, fiduciaries, corporations, and all other groups or combinations.
History.--s. 5, ch. 70-20; ss. 2, 4, ch. 77-227; s. 1, ch. 79-55; s. 809(1st), ch. 82-243; s. 30, ch. 83-38; ss. 187, 188, ch. 91-108; s. 4, ch. 91-429; s. 17, ch. 97-262; s. 15, ch. 2002-25; s. 1352, ch. 2003-261; s. 1, ch. 2004-89; s. 37, ch. 2004-374.