2006 Florida Statutes
Bonds for acquisition and improvement of land, water areas, and related property interests and resources.
215.618 Bonds for acquisition and improvement of land, water areas, and related property interests and resources.--
(1) The issuance of Florida Forever bonds, not to exceed $3 billion, to finance or refinance the cost of acquisition and improvement of land, water areas, and related property interests and resources, in urban and rural settings, for the purposes of restoration, conservation, recreation, water resource development, or historical preservation, and for capital improvements to lands and water areas that accomplish environmental restoration, enhance public access and recreational enjoyment, promote long-term management goals, and facilitate water resource development is hereby authorized, subject to the provisions of s. 259.105 and pursuant to s. 11(e), Art. VII of the State Constitution. Florida Forever bonds may also be issued to refund Preservation 2000 bonds issued pursuant to s. 375.051 The $3 billion limitation on the issuance of Florida Forever bonds does not apply to refunding bonds. The duration of each series of Florida Forever bonds issued may not exceed 20 annual maturities. Preservation 2000 bonds and Florida Forever bonds shall be equally and ratably secured by moneys distributable to the Land Acquisition Trust Fund pursuant to s. 201.15(1)(a), except to the extent specifically provided otherwise by the documents authorizing the issuance of the bonds.
(2) The state does hereby covenant with the holders of Florida Forever bonds and Preservation 2000 bonds that it will not take any action which will materially and adversely affect the rights of such holders so long as such bonds are outstanding, including, but not limited to, a reduction in the portion of documentary stamp taxes distributable to the Land Acquisition Trust Fund for payment of debt service on Preservation 2000 bonds or Florida Forever bonds.
(3) Bonds issued pursuant to this section shall be payable from taxes distributable to the Land Acquisition Trust Fund pursuant to s. 201.15(1)(a). Bonds issued pursuant to this section shall not constitute a general obligation of, or a pledge of the full faith and credit of, the state.
(4) The Department of Environmental Protection shall request the Division of Bond Finance of the State Board of Administration to issue the Florida Forever bonds authorized by this section. The Division of Bond Finance shall issue such bonds pursuant to the State Bond Act.
(5) The proceeds from the sale of bonds issued pursuant to this section, less the costs of issuance, the costs of funding reserve accounts, and other costs with respect to the bonds, shall be deposited into the Florida Forever Trust Fund. The bond proceeds deposited into the Florida Forever Trust Fund shall be distributed by the Department of Environmental Protection as provided in s. 259.105
(6) Pursuant to authority granted by s. 11(e), Art. VII of the State Constitution, there is hereby continued and re-created the Land Acquisition Trust Fund which shall be a continuation of the Land Acquisition Trust Fund which exists for purposes of s. 9(a)(1), Art. XII of the State Constitution. The Land Acquisition Trust Fund shall continue beyond the termination of bonding authority provided for in s. 9(a)(1), Art. XII of the State Constitution, pursuant to the authority provided by s. 11(e), Art. VII of the State Constitution and shall continue for so long as Preservation 2000 bonds or Florida Forever bonds are outstanding and secured by taxes distributable thereto.
(7) There shall be no sale, disposition, lease, easement, license, or other use of any land, water areas, or related property interests acquired or improved with proceeds of Florida Forever bonds which would cause all or any portion of the interest of such bonds to lose the exclusion from gross income for federal income tax purposes.
(8) The initial series of Florida Forever bonds shall be validated in addition to any other bonds required to be validated pursuant to s. 215.82 Any complaint for validation of bonds issued pursuant to this section shall be filed only in the circuit court of the county where the seat of state government is situated, the notice required to be published by s. 75.06 shall be published only in the county where the complaint is filed, and the complaint and order of the circuit court shall be served only on the state attorney of the circuit in which the action is pending.
History.--s. 6, ch. 99-247; s. 3, ch. 2000-170.