2011 Florida Statutes
112.625 Definitions.—As used in this act:
(1) “Retirement system or plan” means any employee pension benefit plan supported in whole or in part by public funds, provided such plan is not:
(a) An employee benefit plan described in s. 4(a) of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974, which is not exempt under s. 4(b)(1) of such act;
(b) A plan which is unfunded and is maintained by an employer primarily for the purpose of providing deferred compensation for a select group of management or highly compensated employees;
(c) A coverage agreement entered into pursuant to s. 218 of the Social Security Act;
(d) An individual retirement account or an individual retirement annuity within the meaning of s. 408, or a retirement bond within the meaning of s. 409, of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954;
(e) A plan described in s. 401(d) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954; or
(f) An individual account consisting of an annuity contract described in s. 403(b) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954.
(2) “Plan administrator” means the person so designated by the terms of the instrument or instruments, ordinance, or statute under which the plan is operated. If no plan administrator has been designated, the plan sponsor shall be considered the plan administrator.
(3) “Enrolled actuary” means an actuary who is enrolled under Subtitle C of Title III of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 and who is a member of the Society of Actuaries or the American Academy of Actuaries.
(4) “Benefit increase” means a change or amendment in the plan design or benefit structure which results in increased benefits for plan members or beneficiaries.
(5) “Governmental entity” means the state, for the Florida Retirement System, and the county, municipality, special district, or district school board which is the employer of the member of a local retirement system or plan.
(6) “Pension or retirement benefit” means any benefit, including a disability benefit, paid to a member or beneficiary of a retirement system or plan as defined in subsection (1).
(7) “Statement value” means the value of assets in accordance with s. 302(c)(2) of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 and as permitted under regulations prescribed by the Secretary of the Treasury as amended by Pub. L. No. 100-203, as such sections are in effect on August 16, 2006. Assets for which a fair market value is not provided shall be excluded from the assets used in the determination of annual funding cost.
(8) “Named fiduciary,” “board,” or “board of trustees” means the person or persons so designated by the terms of the instrument or instruments, ordinance, or statute under which the plan is operated.
(9) “Plan sponsor” means the local governmental entity that has established or that may establish a local retirement system or plan.
History.—s. 14, ch. 79-183; s. 2, ch. 83-37; s. 1, ch. 2000-264; s. 7, ch. 2004-305; s. 1, ch. 2008-139.