- Florida Statutes Definitions Index (2022) [PDF]
- General Laws Conversion Table (2022) [PDF]
- Preface to the Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Table of Section Changes (2022) [PDF]
- Table Tracing Session Laws to Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1971-2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1845-1970) [PDF]
- Statute Search Tips
2013 Florida Statutes
394.879 Rules; enforcement.—
(1) The agency, in consultation with the department, may adopt rules to administer the requirements of part II of chapter 408. The department, in consultation with the agency, shall adopt rules pursuant to ss. 120.536(1) and 120.54 to administer the provisions of this chapter, including, at a minimum, rules providing standards to ensure that:
(a) Sufficient numbers and types of qualified personnel are on duty and available at all times to provide necessary and adequate client safety and care.
(b) Adequate space is provided each client of a licensed facility.
(c) Licensed facilities are limited to an appropriate number of beds.
(d) Each licensee establishes and implements adequate infection control, housekeeping, sanitation, disaster planning, and medical recordkeeping.
(e) Licensed facilities are established, organized, and operated in accordance with programmatic standards of the department.
(f) The operation and purposes of these facilities assure individuals’ health, safety, and welfare.
(g) The use of restraint and seclusion is consistent with recognized best practices and professional judgment; that inherently dangerous restraint or seclusion procedures are prohibited; that limitations are established on the use and duration of restraint and seclusion; that measures are established to ensure the safety of program participants and staff during an incident of restraint or seclusion; that procedures are created for staff to follow before, during, and after incidents of restraint or seclusion; that professional qualifications and training are established for staff who may order or be engaged in the use of restraint or seclusion; and that mandatory reporting, data collection, and data dissemination procedures and requirements are instituted. Rules adopted under this section must require that any instance of the use of restraint or seclusion shall be documented in the record of the client.
(2) Minimum firesafety standards shall be established and enforced by the State Fire Marshal in cooperation with the department. Such standards shall be included in the rule adopted by the department after consultation with the State Fire Marshal.
(3) The department, in consultation with the agency, shall allow any licensed facility in operation at the time of adoption of any rule a reasonable period, not to exceed 1 year, to bring itself into compliance with department rules.
(4) In accordance with part II of chapter 408, the agency may impose an administrative penalty of no more than $500 per day against any licensee that violates any rule adopted pursuant to this section and may suspend and revoke the license and deny the renewal application of such licensee. In imposing such penalty, the agency shall consider the severity of the violation, actions taken by the licensee to correct the violation, and previous violations by the licensee.
(5) The agency or the department may not adopt any rule governing the design, construction, erection, alteration, modification, repair, or demolition of crisis stabilization units. It is the intent of the Legislature to preempt that function to the Florida Building Commission and the State Fire Marshal through adoption and maintenance of the Florida Building Code and the Florida Fire Prevention Code. However, the agency shall provide technical assistance to the commission and the State Fire Marshal in updating the construction standards of the Florida Building Code and the Florida Fire Prevention Code which govern crisis stabilization units. In addition, the agency may enforce the special-occupancy provisions of the Florida Building Code and the Florida Fire Prevention Code which apply to crisis stabilization units in conducting any inspection authorized under this part or part II of chapter 408.
History.—ss. 6, 11, ch. 85-167; s. 4, ch. 91-429; s. 5, ch. 98-152; s. 31, ch. 98-171; s. 98, ch. 98-200; s. 20, ch. 2000-141; s. 34, ch. 2001-186; s. 3, ch. 2001-372; s. 39, ch. 2006-227; s. 33, ch. 2007-230.