(1) There is created within the department, the Board of Respiratory Care, composed of seven members appointed by the Governor and confirmed by the Senate.
(2) The board shall include:
(a) A registered respiratory therapist.
(b) A certified respiratory therapist.
(c) A respiratory care professional from each of the following areas:
1. Respiratory care education.
2. Respiratory care management and supervision.
(d) Two consumer members, who are residents of this state and have never been licensed as health care practitioners.
Each respiratory care professional on the board must have been actively engaged in the delivery of respiratory care services in this state for at least 4 consecutive years prior to appointment.
(3)(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b), the term of office for each board member shall be 4 years. No member shall serve for more than two consecutive terms. Any time there is a vacancy to be filled, all professional organizations dealing with respiratory therapy incorporated within the state as not for profit which register their interest shall recommend at least twice as many persons to fill the vacancy as the number of vacancies to be filled, and the Governor may appoint from the submitted list, in his or her discretion, any of those persons so recommended. The Governor shall, insofar as possible, appoint persons from different geographical areas.
(b) To achieve staggering of terms, within 120 days after July 1, 1999, the Governor shall appoint the board members as follows:
1. Two members shall be appointed for terms of 2 years.
2. Two members shall be appointed for terms of 3 years.
3. Three members shall be appointed for terms of 4 years.
(c) All provisions of chapter 456, relating to boards apply to this part.
(4)(a) The board shall annually elect from among its members a chair and vice chair.
(b) The board shall meet at least twice a year and shall hold additional meetings as are deemed necessary. Four members of the council constitute a quorum.
(c) Unless otherwise provided by law, a board member shall be compensated $50 for each day he or she attends an official board meeting and for each day he or she participates in any other board business. A board member shall also be entitled to reimbursement for expenses pursuant to s. 112.061. Travel out of the state shall require the prior approval of the State Surgeon General.
(5) The board may recommend to the department a code of ethics for those persons licensed pursuant to this part.