- Florida Statutes Definitions Index (2022) [PDF]
- General Laws Conversion Table (2022) [PDF]
- Preface to the Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Table of Section Changes (2022) [PDF]
- Table Tracing Session Laws to Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1971-2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1845-1970) [PDF]
- Statute Search Tips
2017 Florida Statutes
516.01 Definitions.—As used in this chapter, the term:
(1) “Consumer finance borrower” or “borrower” means a person who has incurred either direct or contingent liability to repay a consumer finance loan.
(2) “Consumer finance loan” means a loan of money, credit, goods, or choses in action, including, except as otherwise specifically indicated, provision of a line of credit, in an amount or to a value of $25,000 or less for which the lender charges, contracts for, collects, or receives interest at a rate greater than 18 percent per annum.
(3) “Commission” means the Financial Services Commission.
(4) “Office” means the Office of Financial Regulation of the commission.
(5) “Interest” means the cost of obtaining a consumer finance loan and includes any profit or advantage of any kind whatsoever that a lender may charge, contract for, collect, receive, or in anywise obtain, including by means of any collateral sale, purchase, or agreement, as a condition for a consumer finance loan. Charges specifically permitted by this chapter, including commissions received for insurance written as permitted by this chapter, shall not be deemed interest.
(6) “License” means a permit issued under this chapter to make and collect loans in accordance with this chapter at a single place of business.
(7) “Licensee” means a person to whom a license is issued.
(8) “Control person” means an individual, partnership, corporation, trust, or other organization that possesses the power, directly or indirectly, to direct the management or policies of a company, whether through ownership of securities, by contract, or otherwise. A person is presumed to control a company if, with respect to a particular company, that person:
(a) Is a director, general partner, or officer exercising executive responsibility or having similar status or functions;
(b) Directly or indirectly may vote 10 percent or more of a class of a voting security or sell or direct the sale of 10 percent or more of a class of voting securities; or
(c) In the case of a partnership, may receive upon dissolution or has contributed 10 percent or more of the capital.
History.—s. 19, ch. 10177, 1925; CGL 4016; s. 6, ch. 20728, 1941; s. 7, ch. 22858, 1945; s. 1, ch. 57-201; ss. 12, 35, ch. 69-106; s. 193, ch. 71-377; s. 189, ch. 77-104; s. 2, ch. 81-318; s. 1, ch. 86-100; ss. 1, 16, 17, ch. 88-342; s. 1, ch. 90-104; s. 4, ch. 91-429; s. 569, ch. 2003-261; s. 24, ch. 2006-213.