2017 Florida Statutes
468.431 Definitions.—As used in this part:
(1) “Community association” means a residential homeowners’ association in which membership is a condition of ownership of a unit in a planned unit development, or of a lot for a home or a mobile home, or of a townhouse, villa, condominium, cooperative, or other residential unit which is part of a residential development scheme and which is authorized to impose a fee which may become a lien on the parcel.
(2) “Community association management” means any of the following practices requiring substantial specialized knowledge, judgment, and managerial skill when done for remuneration and when the association or associations served contain more than 10 units or have an annual budget or budgets in excess of $100,000: controlling or disbursing funds of a community association, preparing budgets or other financial documents for a community association, assisting in the noticing or conduct of community association meetings, determining the number of days required for statutory notices, determining amounts due to the association, collecting amounts due to the association before the filing of a civil action, calculating the votes required for a quorum or to approve a proposition or amendment, completing forms related to the management of a community association that have been created by statute or by a state agency, drafting meeting notices and agendas, calculating and preparing certificates of assessment and estoppel certificates, responding to requests for certificates of assessment and estoppel certificates, negotiating monetary or performance terms of a contract subject to approval by an association, drafting prearbitration demands, coordinating or performing maintenance for real or personal property and other related routine services involved in the operation of a community association, and complying with the association’s governing documents and the requirements of law as necessary to perform such practices. A person who performs clerical or ministerial functions under the direct supervision and control of a licensed manager or who is charged only with performing the maintenance of a community association and who does not assist in any of the management services described in this subsection is not required to be licensed under this part.
(3) “Community association management firm” means a corporation, limited liability company, partnership, trust, association, sole proprietorship, or other similar organization engaging in the business of community association management for the purpose of providing any of the services described in subsection (2).
(4) “Community association manager” means a natural person who is licensed pursuant to this part to perform community association management services.
(5) “Council” means the Regulatory Council of Community Association Managers.
(6) “Department” means the Department of Business and Professional Regulation.
History.—ss. 7, 14, ch. 87-343; s. 1, ch. 89-155; s. 4, ch. 91-429; s. 142, ch. 94-218; s. 1, ch. 94-350; s. 2, ch. 96-291; s. 1, ch. 2008-28; s. 1, ch. 2014-146.