- Florida Statutes Definitions Index (2022) [PDF]
- General Laws Conversion Table (2022) [PDF]
- Preface to the Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Table of Section Changes (2022) [PDF]
- Table Tracing Session Laws to Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1971-2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1845-1970) [PDF]
- Statute Search Tips
2019 Florida Statutes
Duties of the department.
Duties of the department.
479.02 Duties of the department.—The department shall:
(1) Administer and enforce this chapter, the 1972 agreement between the state and the United States Department of Transportation, Title 23 of the United States Code, and federal regulations, including, but not limited to, those pertaining to the maintenance, continuance, and removal of nonconforming signs.
(2) Regulate size, height, lighting, and spacing of signs permitted on commercial and industrial parcels and in unzoned commercial or industrial areas on the interstate highway system and the federal-aid primary highway system.
(3) Determine commercial and industrial parcels and unzoned commercial or industrial areas in the manner provided in s. 479.024.
(4) Implement a specific information panel program on the limited access highway system to promote tourist-oriented businesses by providing directional information safely and aesthetically.
(5) Implement a rest area information panel or devices program at rest areas along the interstate highway system and the federal-aid primary highway system to promote tourist-oriented businesses.
(6) Test and, if economically feasible, implement alternative methods of providing information in the specific interest of the traveling public which allow the traveling public freedom of choice, conserve natural beauty, and present information safely and aesthetically.
(7) Adopt such rules as the department deems necessary or proper for the administration of this chapter, including rules that identify activities that may not be recognized as industrial or commercial activities for purposes of determination of a commercial or industrial parcel or an unzoned commercial or industrial area in the manner provided in s. 479.024.
(8) Inventory and determine the location of all signs on the state highway system, interstate highway system, and federal-aid primary highway system to be used as the database and permit information for all permitted signs. The inventory shall be updated at least every 2 years. The department may perform the inventory using department staff or may contract with a private firm to perform the work, whichever is more cost-efficient. The department shall maintain a database of sign inventory information such as sign location, size, height, and structure type, the permittee’s name, and any other information the department finds necessary to administer the program.
History.—s. 2, ch. 20446, 1941; s. 5, ch. 67-461; ss. 23, 35, ch. 69-106; s. 2, ch. 71-971; s. 1, ch. 72-274; s. 3, ch. 76-168; s. 1, ch. 77-457; s. 2, ch. 78-8; s. 134, ch. 79-164; ss. 2, 3, ch. 81-318; ss. 3, 25, 26, ch. 84-227; s. 4, ch. 91-429; s. 33, ch. 94-237; s. 1, ch. 96-201; s. 4, ch. 2014-215; s. 25, ch. 2014-223.