The Senate has convened, unilaterally, in Special Session for the sole purpose of consideration of Executive Order 19-14.
Indian River Lagoon and Lake Okeechobee Basin
The Select Committee on Indian River Lagoon and Lake Okeechobee Basin (IRLLOB) was appointed during the 2012-2014 legislative term to investigate policies, spending, and any other governmental activities affecting water management in the Indian River Lagoon and Lake Okeechobee Basin.
The Committee's specific tasks included:
- Review historic and current state and federal basin wide water management policies and activities, including discharges from Lake Okeechobee into the St. Lucie River and Indian River Lagoon;
- Assess the impact of current water release activities and evaluate the results of environmental priorities in the basin;
- Identify options for state and federal action to improve basin wide water management, including alternatives for discharges from Lake Okeechobee; and,
- Develop recommendations for improved water management.
Select Committee Report and Recommendations
The Select Committee Report (pdf), finalized November 5, recommends over $220 million in state funding to improve water quality and expand current storage and flow capacities by billions of gallons. The Select Committee also recommends that the federal government transfer authority over regulatory releases to the Florida Department of Environmental Protection.
- July 10, 2013: Creating IRLLOB Senate Select Committee (pdf)
- July 10, 2013: President Gaetz Appoints IRLLOB Senate Select Committee (pdf)
- July 22, 2013: IRLLOB Senate Select Committee to Hold First Workshop (pdf)
- August 22, 2013: Committee Workshop Agenda (pdf)
- August 22, 2013: Workshop List of Participants (pdf)
- February 18, 2014: Senator Negron Calls on Congress to Authorize State Jurisdiction over Lake Okeechobee Releases, C-43 Reservoir
- April 28, 2014: Senator Negron Announces Full Funding of Lagoon Recommendations
March 2015: Summary and Independent Assessment by the University of Florida of Regional Water Management Issues in the Indian River Lagoon and Lake Okeechobee Basin (PDF)
As part of an ongoing effort to improve water quality and management in the Indian River Lagoon and Lake Okeechobee Basin, the Florida Senate commissioned an interdisciplinary academic review by the University of Florida Water Institute to evaluate basin wide water management policies and activities. The UF review team will identify options for additional state, federal and local action to improve water management and will develop a report for the Florida Senate that provides a summary and an independent assessment of regional water management issues. View a detailed scope of work (PDF)
Select Committee Meeting Records
|Date||Time||Meeting Notice||Meeting Packet||Attendance||Expanded Agenda||Audio||Video Transcript||Video|
|11/5/2013||4:00 PM||Meeting Notice||Post Meeting Packet||Attendance||Expanded Agenda||Audio||Video|
|10/8/2013||4:00 PM||Not meeting|
|9/24/2013||4:00 PM||Meeting Notice||Meeting Packet||Attendance||Expanded Agenda||Audio||Video|
|8/22/2013||1:00 PM||Meeting Notice||Meeting Packet||Attendance||Expanded Agenda||
Audio Part 1
Audio Part 2
Audio Part 3
Audio Part 4
Audio Part 5
Audio Part 6
Audio Part 7