CS/CS/SB 200: Student Retention
Student Retention; Authorizing a parent or guardian to request that his or her K-5 student be retained in a grade level for academic reasons for a specified school year; requiring school principals to consider such requests if they are timely received; requiring a school principal who considers a request for retention to inform the student’s teachers of the request and collaboratively discuss with the parent or guardian any basis for agreement or disagreement with the request; requiring a parent or guardian to sign a form provided by the principal indicating the parent or guardian’s decision and acknowledging the academic and athletic ramifications of their decision, etc.
Last Action: 4/30/2021 Senate - Died on Calendar, companion bill(s) passed, see CS/HB 1159 (Ch. 2021-228), CS/CS/SB 1028 (Ch. 2021-35)
Bill Text: Web Page | PDF
• Referred to Education; Appropriations Subcommittee on Education; Appropriations -SJ 51
• On Committee agenda-- Education, 02/03/21, 9:00 am, 412 Knott Building
• CS by Education; YEAS 9 NAYS 0 -SJ 177
• Pending reference review under Rule 4.7(2) - (Committee Substitute)
• Now in Appropriations Subcommittee on Education
• Introduced -SJ 51
• CS by Education read 1st time -SJ 166
• On Committee agenda-- Appropriations Subcommittee on Education, 03/10/21, 3:15 pm, 412 Knott Building
• Subcommittee Recommendation: CS/CS by Appropriations Subcommittee on Education; YEAS 8 NAYS 0 -SJ 248
• Now in Appropriations
• On Committee agenda-- Appropriations, 04/19/21, 10:00 am, 412 Knott Building
• CS/CS by- Appropriations; YEAS 19 NAYS 0 -SJ 642
• Pending reference review -under Rule 4.7(2) - (Committee Substitute)
• Placed on Calendar, on 2nd reading
• CS/CS by Appropriations read 1st time -SJ 643
• Died on Calendar, companion bill(s) passed, see CS/HB 1159 (Ch. 2021-228), CS/CS/SB 1028 (Ch. 2021-35)
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.