HB 529: Moments of Silence in Public Schools
GENERAL BILL by Fine ; (CO-INTRODUCERS) Andrade ; Byrd ; Drake ; Fernandez-Barquin ; Fischer ; Leek ; Maggard ; Massullo ; McClain ; Roth
Moments of Silence in Public Schools; Requires principals to require teachers to set aside time for moment of silence; prohibits teachers from making suggestions to nature of any reflection during moment of silence; deletes provision authorizing district school boards to provide brief period of silent prayer or meditation; requires certain teachers encourage parents or guardians to discuss moment of silence & make suggestions as to the best use of this time.
Last Action: 4/22/2021 House - Ordered enrolled
Bill Text: PDF
- Rules (RC)
• Referred to Early Learning & Elementary Education Subcommittee
• Referred to Secondary Education & Career Development Subcommittee
• Referred to Education & Employment Committee
• Now in Early Learning & Elementary Education Subcommittee
• Added to Early Learning & Elementary Education Subcommittee agenda
• Favorable by Early Learning & Elementary Education Subcommittee
• Reported out of Early Learning & Elementary Education Subcommittee
• Now in Secondary Education & Career Development Subcommittee
• Added to Secondary Education & Career Development Subcommittee agenda
• 1st Reading (Original Filed Version)
• Favorable by Secondary Education & Career Development Subcommittee
• Reported out of Secondary Education & Career Development Subcommittee
• Now in Education & Employment Committee
• Added to Education & Employment Committee agenda
• Favorable by Education & Employment Committee
• Reported out of Education & Employment Committee
• Bill released to House Calendar
• Added to Second Reading Calendar
• Bill added to Special Order Calendar (3/18/2021)
• Read 2nd time
• Read 3rd time
• Passed; YEAS 94, NAYS 24
• In Messages
• Message sent to senate
• Referred to Rules -SJ 333
• Received -SJ 333
• On Committee agenda-- Rules, 04/06/21, 9:30 am, 412 Knott Building --Pending Reconsideration (Favorable; YEAS 12 NAYS 5)
• On Committee agenda-- Rules, 04/14/21, 9:00 am, 412 Knott Building
• Favorable by- Rules; YEAS 12 NAYS 5 -SJ 465
• Placed on Calendar, on 2nd reading
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 04/21/21 -SJ 559
• Read 2nd time -SJ 546
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -SJ 579
• Passed; YEAS 32 NAYS 6 -SJ 579
• In Messages
• Ordered enrolled
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.