2015 Florida Statutes
333.01 Definitions.—For the purpose of this chapter, the following words, terms, and phrases shall have the meanings herein given, unless otherwise specifically defined, or unless another intention clearly appears, or the context otherwise requires:
(1) “Aeronautics” means transportation by aircraft; the operation, construction, repair, or maintenance of aircraft, aircraft power plants and accessories, including the repair, packing, and maintenance of parachutes; the design, establishment, construction, extension, operation, improvement, repair, or maintenance of airports, restricted landing areas, or other air navigation facilities, and air instruction.
(2) “Airport” means any area of land or water designed and set aside for the landing and taking off of aircraft and utilized or to be utilized in the interest of the public for such purpose.
(3) “Airport hazard” means any structure or tree or use of land which would exceed the federal obstruction standards as contained in 14 C.F.R. ss. 77.21, 77.23, 77.25, 77.28, and 77.29 and which obstructs the airspace required for the flight of aircraft in taking off, maneuvering, or landing or is otherwise hazardous to such taking off, maneuvering, or landing of aircraft and for which no person has previously obtained a permit or variance pursuant to s. 333.025 or s. 333.07.
(4) “Airport hazard area” means any area of land or water upon which an airport hazard might be established if not prevented as provided in this chapter.
(5) “Airport land use compatibility zoning” means airport zoning regulations restricting the use of land adjacent to or in the immediate vicinity of airports in the manner enumerated in s. 333.03(2) to activities and purposes compatible with the continuation of normal airport operations including landing and takeoff of aircraft in order to promote public health, safety, and general welfare.
(6) “Airport layout plan” means a detailed, scale engineering drawing, including pertinent dimensions, of an airport’s current and planned facilities, their locations, and runway usage.
(7) “Obstruction” means any existing or proposed manmade object or object of natural growth or terrain that violates the standards contained in 14 C.F.R. ss. 77.21, 77.23, 77.25, 77.28, and 77.29.
(8) “Person” means any individual, firm, copartnership, corporation, company, association, joint-stock association, or body politic, and includes any trustee, receiver, assignee, or other similar representative thereof.
(9) “Political subdivision” means any county, city, town, village, or other subdivision or agency thereof, or any district, port commission, port authority, or other such agency authorized to establish or operate airports in the state.
(10) “Runway clear zone” means a runway clear zone as defined in 14 C.F.R. s. 151.9(b).
(11) “Structure” means any object, constructed or installed by humans, including, but without limitation thereof, buildings, towers, smokestacks, utility poles, and overhead transmission lines.
(12) “Tree” includes any plant of the vegetable kingdom.
History.—s. 1, ch. 23079, 1945; s. 2, ch. 75-16; s. 1, ch. 88-356; s. 70, ch. 90-136; s. 84, ch. 91-221; s. 482, ch. 95-148.