- Florida Statutes Definitions Index (2022) [PDF]
- General Laws Conversion Table (2022) [PDF]
- Preface to the Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Table of Section Changes (2022) [PDF]
- Table Tracing Session Laws to Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1971-2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1845-1970) [PDF]
- Statute Search Tips
2016 Florida Statutes
408.803 Definitions.—As used in this part, the term:
(1) “Agency” means the Agency for Health Care Administration, which is the licensing agency under this part.
(2) “Applicant” means an individual, corporation, partnership, firm, association, or governmental entity that submits an application for a license to the agency.
(3) “Authorizing statute” means the statute authorizing the licensed operation of a provider listed in s. 408.802 and includes chapters 112, 383, 390, 394, 395, 400, 429, 440, 483, and 765.
(4) “Certification” means certification as a Medicare or Medicaid provider of the services that require licensure, or certification pursuant to the federal Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA).
(5) “Change of ownership” means:
(a) An event in which the licensee sells or otherwise transfers its ownership to a different individual or entity as evidenced by a change in federal employer identification number or taxpayer identification number; or
(b) An event in which 51 percent or more of the ownership, shares, membership, or controlling interest of a licensee is in any manner transferred or otherwise assigned. This paragraph does not apply to a licensee that is publicly traded on a recognized stock exchange.
A change solely in the management company or board of directors is not a change of ownership.
(6) “Client” means any person receiving services from a provider listed in s. 408.802.
(7) “Controlling interest” means:
(a) The applicant or licensee;
(b) A person or entity that serves as an officer of, is on the board of directors of, or has a 5-percent or greater ownership interest in the applicant or licensee; or
(c) A person or entity that serves as an officer of, is on the board of directors of, or has a 5-percent or greater ownership interest in the management company or other entity, related or unrelated, with which the applicant or licensee contracts to manage the provider.
The term does not include a voluntary board member.
(8) “License” means any permit, registration, certificate, or license issued by the agency.
(9) “Licensee” means an individual, corporation, partnership, firm, association, governmental entity, or other entity that is issued a permit, registration, certificate, or license by the agency. The licensee is legally responsible for all aspects of the provider operation.
(10) “Moratorium” means a prohibition on the acceptance of new clients.
(11) “Provider” means any activity, service, agency, or facility regulated by the agency and listed in s. 408.802.
(12) “Services that require licensure” means those services, including residential services, that require a valid license before those services may be provided in accordance with authorizing statutes and agency rules.
(13) “Voluntary board member” means a board member or officer of a not-for-profit corporation or organization who serves solely in a voluntary capacity, does not receive any remuneration for his or her services on the board of directors, and has no financial interest in the corporation or organization.
History.—s. 5, ch. 2006-192; s. 90, ch. 2007-5; s. 47, ch. 2009-223.