2012 Florida Statutes
Florida Prepaid College Trust Fund.
Florida Prepaid College Trust Fund.
1009.972 Florida Prepaid College Trust Fund.—
(1) There is created within the State Board of Administration the Florida Prepaid College Trust Fund. The trust fund shall be segregated into two separate funds, the prepaid fund and the savings fund.
(2) The prepaid fund shall consist of state appropriations, moneys acquired from other governmental or private sources for the prepaid program, and moneys remitted in accordance with advance payment contracts. Dividends, interest, and gains accruing to the prepaid fund shall increase the total funds available for the prepaid program. If dividends, interest, and gains for the prepaid fund exceed the amount necessary for program administration and disbursements, the board may designate an additional percentage of the prepaid fund to serve as a contingency fund.
(3) The savings fund shall consist of appropriations, moneys acquired from other governmental or private sources for the savings program, and moneys remitted in accordance with participation agreements. The amounts on deposit in the savings fund shall remain therein and shall be available solely for carrying out the purposes of the savings program.
(4) Any balance contained within the trust fund, and within each fund in the trust fund, at the end of a fiscal year shall remain therein and shall be available for carrying out the purposes of each respective program and the direct-support organization established pursuant to s. 1009.983. Moneys contained within the trust fund shall be exempt from the investment requirements of s. 17.57. All funds deposited in the prepaid fund may be invested pursuant to s. 215.47. Any funds of a direct-support organization created pursuant to s. 1009.983 shall be exempt from the provisions of this section.
(5) Notwithstanding chapter 717, funds associated with terminated advance payment contracts pursuant to s. 1009.98(4)(k) and canceled contracts for which no refunds have been claimed shall be retained by the board. The board shall establish procedures for notifying purchasers who subsequently cancel their advance payment contracts of any unclaimed refund and shall establish a time period after which no refund may be claimed by a purchaser who canceled a contract. The board may transfer funds retained from such terminated advance payment contracts and canceled contracts to the Florida Prepaid Tuition Scholarship Program to provide matching funds for prepaid tuition scholarships for economically disadvantaged youth who remain drug free and crime free. In addition, such funds may be used for any other scholarship programs approved by the board under s. 1009.983(8)(b), provided that any matching funds are obtained solely from the private sector.
(6) The assets of the prepaid fund and the savings fund shall be maintained, invested, and expended solely for the purposes of the prepaid program and the savings program, respectively, and shall not be loaned, transferred, or otherwise used by the state for any purpose other than the purposes of ss. 1009.97-1009.984. This subsection shall not be construed to prohibit the board from investing in, by purchase or otherwise, bonds, notes, or other obligations of the state or an agency or instrumentality of the state. Unless otherwise specified by the board, assets of the prepaid fund and the savings fund shall be expended in the following order of priority:
(a) To make payments to state postsecondary institutions on behalf of qualified beneficiaries or designated beneficiaries.
(b) To make refunds upon termination of advance payment contracts or participation agreements.
(c) To pay the costs of administration and operations for the prepaid program and the savings program.
History.—s. 483, ch. 2002-387; s. 1965, ch. 2003-261; s. 2, ch. 2006-303.