2021 Florida Statutes (Including 2021B Session)
210.01 Definitions.—When used in this part the following words shall have the meaning herein indicated:
(1) “Cigarette” means any roll for smoking, except one of which the tobacco is fully naturally fermented, without regard to the kind of tobacco or other substances used in the inner roll or the nature or composition of the material in which the roll is wrapped, which is made wholly or in part of tobacco irrespective of size or shape and whether such tobacco is flavored, adulterated or mixed with any other ingredient.
(2) “Persons” means any individual, copartnership, society, club, association, corporation, joint stock company, and any combination of individuals and also an executor, administrator, receiver, trustee or other fiduciary.
(3) “Sale” means any transfer, exchange or barter in any manner, or by any means whatever.
(4) “Retail sale” or “sale at retail” means a sale to a consumer or to any person for any purpose other than resale.
(5) “Dealer” means any wholesale dealer as hereinafter defined.
(6) “Wholesale dealer” means any person located inside or outside this state who sells cigarettes to retail dealers or other persons for purposes of resale only. Such term shall not include any cigarette manufacturer, export warehouse proprietor, or importer with a valid permit under 26 U.S.C. s. 5712 if such person sells or distributes cigarettes in this state only to dealers who are agents and who hold valid and current permits under s. 210.15 or to any cigarette manufacturer, export warehouse proprietor, or importer who holds a valid and current permit under 26 U.S.C. s. 5712.
(7) “Retail dealer” means any person located inside or outside this state other than a wholesale dealer engaged in the business of selling cigarettes, including persons issued a permit pursuant to s. 569.003.
(8) “Package” means the individual package, box or other container in or from which retail sales of cigarettes are normally made or intended to be made.
(9) “Agent” means any person authorized by the Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco to purchase and affix adhesive stamps under this part.
(10) “Division” means the Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco of the Department of Business and Professional Regulation.
(11) “Use” means the consuming, giving away or disposing, in any manner, of cigarettes.
(12) “First sale” means the first use or consumption of cigarettes within this state.
(13) “Operating ad valorem millage” means all millages other than those fixed for debt service.
(14) “Distributing agent” means every person, firm or corporation in this state who acts as an agent for any person, firm or corporation outside or inside the state by receiving cigarettes in interstate or intrastate commerce and storing such cigarettes subject to distribution or delivery upon order from said principal to wholesale dealers and other distributing agents inside or outside this state.
(15) “Place of business” means any place where cigarettes are sold or where cigarettes are stored or kept for the purpose of sale or consumption; or if cigarettes are sold from a vending machine the place in which the vending machine is located.
(16) “Manufacturer’s representative” means a person who represents a manufacturer of cigarettes but who has no place of business in this state where cigarettes are stored. A manufacturer’s representative is required to obtain any cigarettes required by her or him through a wholesale dealer in this state and to make such reports as may be required by the Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco of the Department of Business and Professional Regulation.
(17) “Exporter” means a person who transports tax-exempt cigarettes into this state under bond for delivery beyond the borders of this state. Each permit shall entitle the permittee to store such cigarettes under bond at one location in this state pending shipment beyond the borders of this state.
(18) “Unstamped package” or “unstamped cigarettes” means a package on which the surcharge and tax required by this part have not been paid, regardless of whether or not such package is stamped or marked with the indicia of any other taxing authority, or a package on which there has been affixed a counterfeit or fraudulent indicium or stamp.
(19) “Stamp” or “stamps” means the indicia required to be placed on cigarette packages which evidence payment of the surcharge on cigarettes under s. 210.011 and the tax on cigarettes under s. 210.02.
(20) “Importer” means any person with a valid permit under 26 U.S.C. s. 5712 who imports into the United States, directly or indirectly, a finished cigarette for sale or distribution.
(21) “Manufacturer” means any domestic person or entity with a valid permit under 26 U.S.C. s. 5712 that manufactures, fabricates, assembles, processes, or labels a finished cigarette.
(22) “Counterfeit cigarettes” means cigarettes that have false manufacturing labels, tobacco product packs with counterfeit tax stamps, or any combination thereof.
History.—s. 1, ch. 21946, 1943; s. 1, ch. 22645, 1945; s. 1, ch. 24363, 1947; s. 1, ch. 26320, 1949; ss. 1, 2, ch. 29884, 1955; s. 1, ch. 61-399; s. 1, ch. 67-45; ss. 16, 35, ch. 69-106; s. 45, ch. 71-377; s. 1, ch. 73-123; s. 59, ch. 77-104; s. 3, ch. 77-421; s. 1, ch. 79-11; s. 1, ch. 87-86; s. 13, ch. 94-218; s. 1488, ch. 95-147; s. 1, ch. 2005-228; s. 2, ch. 2009-79; s. 1, ch. 2012-208.