CS/CS/SB 236: Civil Remedies
GENERAL BILL by Fiscal Policy ; Banking and Insurance ; Hutson
Civil Remedies; Creating a rebuttable presumption that a lodestar fee is a sufficient and reasonable attorney fee in most civil actions; reducing the statute of limitations for negligence actions; providing standards for bad faith actions; providing for the distribution of proceeds when two or more third-party claims arising out of a single occurrence exceed policy limits; providing standards for the admissibility of evidence to prove the cost of damages for medical expenses in certain civil actions; requiring the trier of fact to consider the fault of certain persons who contribute to an injury, etc.
Last Action: 3/22/2023 Senate - Laid on Table, companion bill(s) passed, see CS/CS/HB 837 (Ch. 2023-15) -SJ 214
Bill Text: Web Page | PDF
• Referred to Banking and Insurance; Judiciary; Fiscal Policy
• On Committee agenda-- Banking and Insurance, 03/07/23, 4:00 pm, 412 Knott Building
• CS by Banking and Insurance; YEAS 8 NAYS 3
• Pending reference review under Rule 4.7(2) - (Committee Substitute)
• Now in Judiciary
• On Committee agenda-- Judiciary, 03/14/23, 4:00 pm, 412 Knott Building
• CS by Banking and Insurance read 1st time
• Favorable with 1 amendment(s) by Judiciary (209768); YEAS 8 NAYS 4
• Pending reference review under Rule 4.7(2) - (Amendments)
• Now in Fiscal Policy
• On Committee agenda-- Fiscal Policy, 03/16/23, 8:30 am, 412 Knott Building
• CS/CS by- Fiscal Policy; YEAS 13 NAYS 6
• Pending reference review -under Rule 4.7(2) - (Committee Substitute)
• Placed on Calendar, on 2nd reading
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 03/22/23
• CS/CS by Fiscal Policy read 1st time
• Read 2nd time -SJ 213
• Substituted CS/CS/HB 837 -SJ 214
• Laid on Table, companion bill(s) passed, see CS/CS/HB 837 (Ch. 2023-15) -SJ 214
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.