2019 Florida Statutes
Penalties and remedies.
Penalties and remedies.
403.860 Penalties and remedies.—
(1) A fine, not to exceed $5,000 for each day in which a violation occurs, may be imposed by a court of competent jurisdiction on any person who violates s. 403.859(1), (2), (4), (5), or (6).
(2) A fine, not to exceed $5,000 for each day in which such violation occurs or failure to comply continues, may be imposed by a court of competent jurisdiction upon any person who violates, or fails or refuses to comply with, any order issued by the department pursuant to this act.
(3) The department may initiate an administrative proceeding to establish liability and require corrective action. Such proceeding shall be instituted by the department’s serving a written notice of violation upon the alleged violator by certified mail. The notice shall specify the provision of law or rule of the department alleged to have been violated and the facts alleged to constitute a violation thereof. An order for corrective action may be included with the notice. However, no order shall become effective until after service and an administrative hearing, if requested within 20 days after service. Failure to request an administrative hearing within this time period shall constitute a waiver thereof. A department order, entered after a hearing pursuant to chapter 120 or a waiver thereof, shall be final and constitute a final adjudication of the matters alleged. Such order may require, in addition to corrective action, that the violator pay the state for its reasonable costs and expenses incurred in investigating the violation and prosecuting the administrative proceeding.
(4) The department or a county health department that has been approved by the department under s. 403.862(1)(c) may institute a civil action in any court of appropriate jurisdiction for injunctive relief to prevent violation of any order, rule, or regulation issued pursuant to this act, in addition to any other remedies provided under this section.
(5) In addition to any judicial or administrative remedy authorized by this part, the department or a county health department that has received approval by the department pursuant to s. 403.862(1)(c) shall assess administrative penalties for violations of this section in accordance with s. 403.121.
(6) Fees collected pursuant to this section shall be deposited in the Water Quality Assurance Trust Fund or the appropriate County Health Department Trust Fund, in accordance with s. 381.0063, to be used to carry out the provisions of this part. The department may use a portion of the fund to contract for services to help collect noncompliance fees assessed pursuant to this section.
History.—s. 11, ch. 77-337; s. 71, ch. 90-331; s. 2, ch. 93-50; s. 3, ch. 93-264; s. 104, ch. 97-101; s. 3, ch. 97-236; s. 5, ch. 2001-258.