2019 Florida Statutes
State Fire Marshal; authority; duties; rules.
State Fire Marshal; authority; duties; rules.
633.104 State Fire Marshal; authority; duties; rules.—
(1) The Chief Financial Officer is designated as “State Fire Marshal.” The State Fire Marshal has authority to adopt rules pursuant to ss. 120.536(1) and 120.54 to implement this chapter. Rules must be in substantial conformity with generally accepted standards of firesafety; must take into consideration the direct supervision of children in nonresidential child care facilities; and must balance and temper the need of the State Fire Marshal to protect all Floridians from fire hazards with the social and economic inconveniences that may be caused or created by the rules. The department shall adopt the Florida Fire Prevention Code.
(2) Subject to the limitations of subsection (1), it is the intent of the Legislature that the State Fire Marshal shall have the responsibility to minimize the loss of life and property in this state due to fire. The State Fire Marshal shall enforce all laws and provisions of this chapter, and any rules adopted pursuant thereto, relating to:
(a) The prevention of fire and explosion through the regulation of conditions which could cause fire or explosion, the spread of fire, and panic resulting therefrom;
(b) Installation and maintenance of fire alarm systems and fire protection systems, including fire suppression systems, fire-extinguishing equipment, and fire sprinkler systems;
(c)1. Servicing, repairing, recharging, testing, marking, inspecting, installing, maintaining, and tagging of fire extinguishers, preengineered systems, and individually designed fire protection systems;
2. The training and licensing of persons engaged in the business of servicing, repairing, recharging, testing, marking, inspecting, installing, maintaining, and tagging fire extinguishers, preengineered systems, and individually designed fire protection systems;
(d) The maintenance of fire cause and loss records; and
(e) Suppression of arson and the investigation of the cause, origin, and circumstances of fire.
(3) The State Fire Marshal shall establish by rule guidelines and procedures for quadrennial renewal of firesafety inspector requirements for certification.
(4) It is the intent of the Legislature that the rules promulgated by the State Fire Marshal pursuant to this section be enforced in such a manner as to prohibit the displacement of currently placed mobile homes unless there is a threat of imminent danger to the health, safety, or welfare of the general public.
(5) It is the intent of the Legislature that there are to be no conflicting requirements between the Florida Fire Prevention Code and the Florida Building Code or conflicts in their enforcement and interpretation. Potential conflicts shall be resolved through coordination and cooperation of the State Fire Marshal and the Florida Building Commission as provided by this chapter and part IV of chapter 553.
(6) Only the State Fire Marshal may issue, and, when requested in writing by any substantially affected person or a local enforcing agency, the State Fire Marshal shall issue declaratory statements pursuant to s. 120.565 relating to the Florida Fire Prevention Code.
(7) The State Fire Marshal, in consultation with the Department of Education, shall adopt and administer rules prescribing standards for the safety and health of occupants of educational and ancillary facilities pursuant to ss. 633.206, 1013.12, 1013.37, and 1013.371. In addition, in any county, municipality, or special district that does not employ or appoint a firesafety inspector certified under s. 633.216, the State Fire Marshal shall assume the duties of the local county, municipality, or independent special fire control district as defined in s. 191.003 with respect to firesafety inspections of educational property required under s. 1013.12(3)(b), and the State Fire Marshal may take necessary corrective action as authorized under s. 1013.12(7).
(8) The State Fire Marshal or her or his duly appointed hearing officer may administer oaths and take testimony about all matters within the jurisdiction of this chapter. Chapter 120 governs hearings conducted by or on behalf of the State Fire Marshal.
(9) The State Fire Marshal may contract with any qualified public entity or private company in accordance with chapter 287 to provide examinations for any applicant for any examination administered under the jurisdiction of the State Fire Marshal. The State Fire Marshal may direct payments from each applicant for each examination directly to such contracted entity or company.
History.—s. 1, ch. 20671, 1941; s. 1, ch. 65-216; s. 1, ch. 67-78; ss. 13, 35, ch. 69-106; s. 3, ch. 70-299; s. 5, ch. 71-271; s. 3, ch. 87-287; s. 13, ch. 89-233; s. 1, ch. 90-359; s. 5, ch. 95-379; s. 207, ch. 98-200; s. 57, ch. 98-287; ss. 100, 101, ch. 2000-141; s. 2, ch. 2002-287; s. 93, ch. 2003-1; s. 1391, ch. 2003-261; s. 61, ch. 2007-217; s. 156, ch. 2008-4; s. 1, ch. 2011-79; s. 3, ch. 2013-183.
Note.—Former s. 633.01.