2021 Florida Statutes (Including 2021B Session)
Funds for instructional materials.
Funds for instructional materials.
1011.67 Funds for instructional materials.—
(1) The department is authorized to allocate and distribute to each district an amount as prescribed annually by the Legislature for instructional materials for student membership in basic and special programs in grades K-12, which will provide for growth and maintenance needs. For purposes of this subsection, unweighted full-time equivalent students enrolled in the lab schools in state universities are to be included as school district students and reported as such to the department. The annual allocation shall be determined as follows:
(a) The growth allocation for each school district shall be calculated as follows:
1. Subtract from that district’s projected full-time equivalent membership of students in basic and special programs in grades K-12 used in determining the initial allocation of the Florida Education Finance Program, the prior year’s full-time equivalent membership of students in basic and special programs in grades K-12 for that district.
2. Multiply any such increase in full-time equivalent student membership by the allocation for a set of instructional materials, as determined by the department, or as provided for in the General Appropriations Act.
3. The amount thus determined shall be that district’s initial allocation for growth for the school year. However, the department shall recompute and adjust the initial allocation based on actual full-time equivalent student membership data for that year.
(b) The maintenance of the instructional materials allocation for each school district shall be calculated by multiplying each district’s prior year full-time equivalent membership of students in basic and special programs in grades K-12 by the allocation for maintenance of a set of instructional materials as provided for in the General Appropriations Act. The amount thus determined shall be that district’s initial allocation for maintenance for the school year; however, the department shall recompute and adjust the initial allocation based on such actual full-time equivalent student membership data for that year.
(c) In the event the funds appropriated are not sufficient for the purpose of implementing this subsection in full, the department shall prorate the funds available for instructional materials after first funding in full each district’s growth allocation.
(2) Annually by July 1 and before the release of instructional materials funds, each district school superintendent shall certify to the Commissioner of Education that the district school board has approved a comprehensive staff development plan that supports fidelity of implementation of instructional materials programs, including verification that training was provided; that the materials are being implemented as designed; and, beginning July 1, 2021, for core reading materials and reading intervention materials used in kindergarten through grade 5, that the materials meet the requirements of s. 1001.215(8). Such instructional materials, as evaluated and identified pursuant to s. 1001.215(4), may be purchased by the school district with funds under this section without undergoing the adoption procedures under s. 1006.40(4)(b). This subsection does not preclude school districts from purchasing or using other materials to supplement reading instruction and provide additional skills practice.
History.—s. 659, ch. 2002-387; s. 11, ch. 2004-271; s. 52, ch. 2006-74; s. 28, ch. 2010-154; s. 56, ch. 2017-116; s. 109, ch. 2018-110; s. 19, ch. 2021-9.